N. Sulawesi - Sliaden/Bunaken vs. Lembeh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sks77

Registered
Reaction score
We are doing an 11 night trip to N. Sulawesi in early November. Right now we are thinking 7 nights at Siladen Beach resort and 4 at KBR in Lembeh.

Can someone who has been there compare the diving at the two a little? If we spend a majority of our time on Siladen are we going to get to Lembeh and it is so amazing we wish we had spent the bulk of our trip there?

Any other insight on the 2 locations would be much appreciated as well?

Thank you!
Sean

I'd rather go to Gangga island resort than Siladen, not much for the resort itself rather for the location.
7 days diving arund Bunaken and Siladen is a loooooong time, 7 days diving around Bangka feels like a breeze.

Can't comment about KBR as I have not dived with that resort only with Critters at Lembeh (Lembeh Resort) who are excellent and fantastic accommodation.

My daughter and I have just finished our two week trip to Sulawesi where we stayed at Siladen Resort for the last four days, which is currently under new management since April (Ana and Miguel who used to run Lembeh Resort), so expect some changes. The resort itself has some room for improvement as well as the diving side of things, new people arrived today to take over that side of the business and will report to Ana and Miguel, one of them is a tech instructor and there is a nice wreck not far away to dive on, I'll be posting about that in my trip report, but it was a bloody brilliant dive.

Our experience at Murex Bangka was not so positive.

Personally I would do Lembeh first then Siladen, it's much warmer over on the Manado side

Split your trip more evenly between Lembeh and either Siladen or Gangga (as suggested by Luko). And I would even suggest doing more days in Lembeh than Bangka.

Lembeh is AMAZING!
Siladen is mainly wall diving and personally I get a bit bored of walls after a day or two.
Gangga (off of Bangka) is far more varied, with great pinnacles and some clear water muck and and and... November should still be ok for Bangka, the earlier in Nov the better.

Thanks for the great info. We had not come across Gangga Resort in our research but it looks great. We have contacted them about availability. It has been 3 days with no response so maybe they are booked. We'll see....might just be on island time. Any additional info anyone has is much appreciated!

Thanks for the great info. We had not come across Gangga Resort in our research but it looks great. We have contacted them about availability. It has been 3 days with no response so maybe they are booked. We'll see....might just be on island time. Any additional info anyone has is much appreciated!
Contact directly Manado safari tours Manado Safari Tours North Sulawesi: Hotel Reservations, Scuba Diving Packages Bunaken & Lembeh, Adventure Tours
Very efficient local company, owned by an american expat, ex KBR manager, Jeremy : they will take care of your bookings, transfers and sometimes offer promotions

Greetings from Lembeh sks77,

Great advice above. Of course I am a little biased, but may I suggest wherever you choose Siladen or Gangga, you start your trip in Lembeh Strait (BTW - AlMitch is right you should spend more than 4 nights in Lembeh Strait). We do many combination packages with Siladen and from guests feedback, we've learned that most people seem to prefer critter hunting in the "muck" first and then going to Bunaken Marine Park for clear water, schooling fish, beautiful walls and reefs. Alternatively, I would say the same for Gangga, start off in the "muck" in Lembeh and move on to the reefs.

Wherever you choose to spend your dive holiday, we hope you have a fantastic dive experience in North Sulawesi!

I've only been to Lembeh (stayed at Lembeh resort when Ana and Miguel were still there), but based on the conversations I had with guests that were doing both locations, most said that they wished they had spent more time at Lembeh. I don't know what it is, but that place is addicting. There's thrash in the water and on the sand, there's not really a beach to hang out on, there aren't massive coral reefs like other places in Indonesia (although there is coral), and topside it's not as pretty as other places I've been. Several dives are right near a seaport. But man... it is soooo awesome. I tell people it's almost like cheating when it comes to macro and muck diving. I did a 13 day live aboard in Komodo a few years ago. Saw 1 blue ring octopus the whole time. Saw 3 BROs on the first dive in Lembeh. We saw a few small mandarin fish in Komodo. In Lembeh, they were so big they looked like they ate the mandarins in Komodo, and they bumped my lens port. I was over mimic octopuses after 4 days in Lembeh. It just has so many of the rare and cool critters everyone wants to see. And then, last fall we found the hairy octopus. It's just a really special place. I booked my flight back there just yesterday.
As far as the resorts go... Lembeh Resort is tough to beat. Very well run. Good food. Excellent camera room. Pro photographer at the resort. Great guides. etc. My only advice for Lembeh is to request a room not on the hill. It's a hike. Unless you want the view...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom