NA-EM1 buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi again
I measured the the weight of the whole package (Housing with camera, strobes with batteries, focus light, arms, diopter etc...)
all together weight 6.6 KG (approximately 6.4 in salt water)
then I checked the volume of this, 5.3 liter
so it have a 1.1 kg of negative buoyancy.
If I want to keep it a little negative I need just 1 liter of volume.
I will try first to add 2 small bottles to feel if its enough and then decides what to use to float.

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2015 at 09:47 AM ----------

another question
when Nauticam write on the 60x300mm carbon fibre float arm
Weight: 260g
Buoyancy: 460g

the 460g is the real buoyancy force or I have to subtract the 260g and the buoyancy force is just 200g?

I weighed my EM10 and Nauticam housing; it had 12-50mm Macro with Nauticam Macro port, two DS-125, double-handle Flexitray, four 200mm Nauticam arms and 7 Nauticam clamps, Sola 1200, SMC with Flip mount, coil-cord tether. Total weight in fresh water was 4.4 pounds = 1990g. In air, the same rig weighed 16.8 pounds = 7600g. This suggests a displacement of 5.6 liters.

My plan is to replace the two 200mm arms closest to the tray with 90x200mm Nauticam carbon fiber arms, to give me 2x655g = 1410g buoyancy. That will also remove two 200mm arms, which saves another 2x70 = 140g. I'll be at 1550g buoyancy, versus 1990g weight. That's in fresh water, so I'll gain another bit of buoyancy, i.e. 3% of 5.6 liters = 170g. I figure in salt water I'll be carrying 1990-1550 -170 = 270g = 0.6 pounds. I can handle that!

FYI, the 460g listed for the 60x300mm arms is the net buoyancy....you do not need to subtract the 260g arm weight.

Cover Photo w camera 2.jpg

I have the Nauticam housing and a few different ports 12-50 W/macro +7 flip diopter, 9-18 with the Zen 170mm MkII and the Pana 8mm with the Nauticam 4.33 dome, 2 S&S DS1's with 5 and 8 inch arms and a single Sola 800 on the hot shoe. I use 4 jumbo floats on the 8 inch arms and remove the 5 inch arms when shooting macro. Overall my rig is slightly negative but light enough to not cause fatigue /drag or be a major issue. Personally I'm really happy with the balance and feel in the water.

Attachments

• Camera Housing w Nauticam 12-50 Macro_.jpg
    Camera Housing w Nauticam 12-50 Macro_.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Cover Photo w camera.jpg
    Cover Photo w camera.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 72
I have a very similar set up, Nauticam EM1 housing, 12-50 port with the Marco option + flip diaopter (+7) and a sola 800, 2- S&S DS 1's with ultra light 5 and 8 inch arms. I use 4 jumbo foam floats and my rig is pretty neutral. I also have the Zen 170mm dome with 9-18mm and the 8mm with 4.33 dome and do no adjust the overall floatation. the floats are on my 8 inch arms and I remove the 5 inch arms when shooting macro. All set ups are pretty neutral and I find easy to manage underwater. I don't have a leash/connection and find the overall function underwater really comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom