Name your best or favorite wreck dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Within rec limits I'd say the Proteus (NC), outside - the Coimbra (NY/NJ). Proteus is still the prettiest wreck I've seen. The massive prop and big sand tigers on that day sticks in my memory. The Coimbra has always been a blast because of the small group/dive boat combination I've used for the trip everytime I've gone out there, an overnighter as well.

Whether you call it the Marie Bahn or the Mairi Bhan or just the Windjammer, it's still a wonderful dive. A tri-masted schooner that went down nearly 100 years ago, she lies in 200' of warm, clear, calm water.

The deck is largely gone which opens the steel reinforced hold to exploration. The wreck is COVERED with life, including the longest whip corals I've ever seen. Everything from octopi to the ubiquitous tarpons and some pretty decent schools of smaller fish call the wreck home, but they don't seem to mind sharing with the occasional interloper. It's just a flat-out pretty dive. There's nothing to scavenge and no penetration requiring a line, though, which may disappoint some.

Way beyond recreational limits, the wreck has killed a number of divers. Get the training before you try it - it's a great dive but not worth dying for.

Steven

tough one - I'll go for sites rather than specific wrecks:

No 1 - Bikini Atoll
No 2 - Abu Nuhas (Carnatic, Ghannis D & Chrisoula K)

but then I haven't been to Scapa or Chuuk, yet...

For a local wreck here in Ft. Lauderdale I'd have to say the Tracy. A nice ship in about 75 feet of water sitting up right and very accessable. The shallow depth means lots of bottom time to explore the insides and also allows new divers to get a very good look at a nice wreck without all the overhead stuff.

For a short trip it would be the Spiegel Grove. I'm sure most everyone has heard of this one by now. 510 feet long 85 feet wide resting on her starboard side in about 130 feet of water. This is one massive ship. Some friends and I just dove it for the first time this week. FANTASTIC! It's so big that it would take many dives to even get a small idea of what the ship is like. I'm definitely going back to dive it again, soon.

Scott

Well.... right now I'd have the say the Avenger (WWII airplane) off Perdido pass where I got that 22 pound grouper.
Tomorrow I'll probably be on the "duty wrecks" (Bart, Strength, Stages, Bridge spans) off Panama City - each will be my favorite in turn.
Rick

Right now, here in Key Largo I would have to say the Spiegel Grove. A truly amazing wreck requiring several dives just to see the whole thing!

Reeflover

What a great wreck dive! Cannot wait to go back and dive it again.

My favorite would have to be the SS Kolkhosnik, a russian freighter carrying war cargo, sunk near Halifax in 150 feet.

A close second would be the British Freedom, an armed tanker in 200 feet.

Back
Top Bottom