Naples?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMJJS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife, son and I just got certified in May for our June trip to Mexico and had a blast. Every year we go to Naples to be with family between Christmas and New Years. We would like to maybe try to scuba while in the area, but the only dive shop I could find in Naples is closing. We only have fins, snorkels and masks, so need a place where we can rent the rest of the gear and won't mind having a guide. We want to keep it to a day trip, so going across the state to the East coast is out (at least this year). Any suggestions on who we should contact and places we should look into diving?

Thanks in advance for any help!

From Naples, you're about a 2 hour drive from Lauderdale area diving. That's an easy day trip. Diving off Naples will save you no time because of the distance to the sites. East coast sites are close to shore. West coast sites are much farther off shore. Time you save by not driving is eaten up on the boat.

While I love diving off Naples, the diving isn't ideal for beginners. Make a quick day trip to the east coast, you'll be much happier.

From Naples, you're about a 2 hour drive from Lauderdale area diving. ... Make a quick day trip to the east coast, you'll be much happier.

Makes sense. I'll do some more research on the east coast diving, but if anyone has some pointers, that could help.

Thanks!

Last year I tried over Christmas, got up at 5:00am, drove over to West Palm Beach and was blown out and had to turn around and go back. At least the golf was good :)

This year I have been exchanging messages with a shop on Marco Island and asked them to let me know if they have any boats going out during the timeframe.

www.scubamarco.com

I have yet to dive with them, but will post something if we do go out over Thanksgiving week.

Good point. Check the weather before driving across.

American Dream is excellent and it's a straight shot across.

My wife, son and I just got certified in May for our June trip to Mexico and had a blast. Every year we go to Naples to be with family between Christmas and New Years. We would like to maybe try to scuba while in the area, but the only dive shop I could find in Naples is closing. We only have fins, snorkels and masks, so need a place where we can rent the rest of the gear and won't mind having a guide. We want to keep it to a day trip, so going across the state to the East coast is out (at least this year). Any suggestions on who we should contact and places we should look into diving?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Check out this shop at Marco Island.

SCUBA Marco - sales, service dive shop on Marco Island, Florida

I used to live there and went out with them once. They're OK, I just much prefer the Keys and the drive is not that bad. I made a day trip of it many times.

Check out this shop at Marco Island.

SCUBA Marco - sales, service dive shop on Marco Island, Florida

I used to live there and went out with them once. They're OK, I just much prefer the Keys and the drive is not that bad. I made a day trip of it many times.

Sorry Georoc, I didn't see you already beat me to it! Capt. Jeff is a great guy, I just didn't care as much for the Gulf diving when the Atlantic is within easy reach.

I used to work for the store you spoke to. The diving options are few in Naples unless you're OK with a long boat ride. You can do a shore dive off Delnor Wiggins state park of the 2nd and 3rd parking areas. It's usually less than 15 feet of water and less than 10 feet of visibility. Concrete piles and some rubble to form artificial reefs. I'm also told there are similar artificial reefs of 3rd street, but I have never looked. There is another shop just north of Naples in Bonita Springs called Eagle Ray dive center that you could rent gear from as well.

As far as East coast diving, I'm going to add a +1 to Capt. Todd at American Dream 2. He can rent you gear as well. I've been on his boat several times and I've always been extremely happy.

Danny

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom