Nasal pressure issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently got certified on 100% O2 rebreathers and am having some issue. We dive C.O.D.E.S. and OxyLungs and from time to time on dives I have to consciously force myself to close my nasal passage because it feels like all my body wants to do is exhale through my nose, what ends up happening is I get this kind of creaking sound from the force it takes to control my breath and I end up having to call the dive. Any help would be much appreciated!

Let me guess! You are the 'natural mouth breather' not a 'nose breather'. Some of the divers, mostly the ones that preferred breathing through the mouth on the surface, experience that issue diving on chest mounted RB's without OPV. It was explain to me by some navy physiologist, that this is just a variation of 'chipmunk cheeks' caused by difference in hydrostatic pressure between the counterlung and your oral and nasal passages. It has something to do with muscle strength - in 'mouth breathers', during the ascent, specially in a vertical position, instead of becoming a chipmunk, your weak nose 'sphincter' :wink: muscle burp an excess of a gas. Resolution of this issue is to achieve better trim -try to stay horizontal most of the time. Other important thing to avoid ascending with a full loop. Slow down on ascent, let oxygen get metabolized, in non hostile environment you can vent some gas out through your mouthpiece(not an option in combat).
Hope it helps.
rgrds
Tomek

Now if I could just find a scrubber that would go a lot longer.

Try one of the Russian scrubbers from the IDA series, cheep, strong built, easy to adopt. IDA72 have biiiiig scrubber -easily 10hours.
rgrds
Tomek

Interesting point rzep, I don't usually breath through my mouth on the surface but definitely an interesting perspective. I have the chipmunk cheeks issue when I first started but that deteriorated with experience and hopefully this nasal pressure will also. I'm fairly confident after my last RB dive that I have it under control.

I had a similar issue in the past (I think). I posted about it on rebreather world and got a lot of replies. The link can be found here: bizarre breathing problem - Rebreather World

I still have it from time to time, but very rarely. Seems to happen more often when I have a cold.

HTH,
Peter

Back
Top Bottom