NAUI - Nitrox Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like said above, the NAUI nitrox course is designed to broaden the depth of knowledge with the assumption that because you are diving nitrox you very well may start doing longer duration dives, potentially in colder water, so they open the question of drysuit gasses because it is commonly encountered. They also hint into trimix and what not which is when that question becomes very relevant.

In that regard,, the question has served its purpose. There is more to learn , and it is being talked about.

Like said above, the NAUI nitrox course is designed to broaden the depth of knowledge with the assumption that because you are diving nitrox you very well may start doing longer duration dives, potentially in colder water, so they open the question of drysuit gasses because it is commonly encountered. They also hint into trimix and what not which is when that question becomes very relevant.

Everyone's comments have been very helpful and shown good insight into teaching of a subject that could be very complex.

If argon is covered in the discussion of gasses it is not unreasonable to have an isolated question on it.

I highlighted Steve's comment because it probably comes closer to the point I tried to make in the original post. To the best of my recollection, argon was not covered in the discussion of gasses nor was it in the learning manual. It just seemed that there were several questions on the final exam that were designed to determine whether you knew about other (albeit related) topics than they were to examine your understanding of Nitrox.

There was no instructor discussion of gasses or helium. The entire course consisted of a powerpoint presentation, a couple of quick examples using EAN dive tables, and a couple of quick MOD calculations. Maybe 1½ - 2 hours total. I was a little disappointed. I was told to go home, read the book, and come back for the test. I took the test on the following evening and was a little disappointed that there were questions on the test that were neither covered in class nor in the book. I was a little surprised that I passed the test, but I actually got a decent grade. Guess I have picked up a little more over the years than I realized. Just a little dissatisfied and frustrated with the instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom