NAUI Nitrox course - "Recognition" course v. "certification" course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving NITROX for almost a year now with roughly 30 dives on Nitrox. I have the 'NITROX' recognition card, not the 'NITROX DIVER' card (the difference being one has 'diver' on it the other doesn't). Nobody has ever refused me a fill nor use of a Nitrox tank while on vacation.

I discussed the difference with my instructor at the time and chose the recognition class (it was still winter), and this class actually taught us the physics/math which another class (not NAUI) I looked at only taught the use of a computer.

As far as planning the dive goes we learned what to do in class (MOD @ 1.4 PO2 with contingency of 1.6 PO2 or variations thereof). Be sure to watch your O2 clock for repetitive dives. If you arrive on site and the depth exceeds these numbers then you either abort the dive, have a hard bottom, or go back and change gas.

It works for me.

During my NAUI NITROX class we learned and practiced convolsing diver rescue, and we also practiced ascending from 100ft doing "deep stops" stoping every 10ft (starting at 75ft) and taking 30secs to move between the 10 ft incriments,along w/ other basic skills. We went down to 100ft on the first dive and 60 on the second both were an hour long. Did I learn anything...YES Im sure none of us knew how to rescue a oxtoxing diver w/o traiinig. and w/ thoses nice dives I was able to KNOW as in experiance fo my self the diffrence that EAN made in the way I felt.

So I for one dont thik the dives were a waste of my time at all.

moxie:
... The 2 dives don't add anything pertinent... for getting nitrox certified, go to a SSI or SDI shop or other agency that gives you full certification without dives.

I'm certain you are correct. Many people won't learn a thing from additional training dives.

moxie:
Scubatoys said it right. The 2 dives don't add anything pertinent. Sure, 2 dives with an instructor is always a plus, and various agencies give "tuneups' or "buoyancy seminars" for that purpose. But for getting nitrox certified, go to a SSI or SDI shop or other agency that gives you full certification without dives. IMHO.

Unless you take the same course that WaterDawg took. Then it just might make a difference.

Two things that might be considered by actually doing a Nitrox dive:

1. Checking the cylinder for oxygen content.

2. Setting your computer for the mix you found by test.

OC

But o rse its not just my class I know of 3 instr on Okinawa that teach the same way.

The instr understands the importance of good skills (and has them) nd are not lazy then why not use thoses two dive for more than just a mandatory u/w tour?? If the student already had geat skils then demonstrate how to shoot a bag, or demonstrate some type of drill or something. It might get them to look into more training in the future.

Instructors, You get out what you put in, dont take the minimalist approach to training, sure it might be easier to just guide them around or not do the dives at all but you are doing a disservise to your customers.

I just took the NAUI EANx class. The LDS I went thru allowed me to use Nitrox for two of my checkout dives in my open water class at no additional charge, I received the NITROX DIVER card. The shop gave us (students) the option of diving or not, explained the difference in the card and the reasons behind it. Exactly as Scubatoys, JBD, and MB explained.

ocpaul:
Two things that might be considered by actually doing a Nitrox dive:

1. Checking the cylinder for oxygen content.

2. Setting your computer for the mix you found by test.

OC

We have multiple tanks set up with different mixes, and several different kinds of analyzers. We make each student test each tank with each analyzer... This can all be done in the class. And when someone buys a computer, we teach them how to set them. And review that in the class. Still don't get what they will gain from the actual dives that we can't accomplish just as well in the class... other than diving. Students learn on every dive... but not nitrox... just how to be better divers... thus we don't require the dives.

But different strokes!

scubatoys:
Students learn on every dive... but not nitrox... just how to be better divers... thus we don't require the dives.

I would say the reason some shops dont require the dives is cause the agencies dont require them and people will allways want to get by doing the least amount of work. Do the minimum and move on. How can you say students learn in every dive...all except nitrox, why? It cause most instrs arent teching them.

I thought that was the point of dive instruction was to make better divers? Nitrox can make dives safer right? And so can teaching people how how to rescue a toxing victim, ohbut wait that requires work I forgot.

I hope the shops dont charge the same price for both classes at least.

I am SOOOO glad I found a good instr who didnt take short cuts.

Lemme ask a question here. I am getting ready to take the NAUI nitrox course. I have read through the book and found it pretty confusing. Why? Because it gives me ten different ways to figure out something. 'You can do it like this, or like this, or you can do that, or you can do this and then that...' argh, enough. I haven't spoken with the instructor yet, but am I going to have to know every single way (mathamatically) to come to an answer, in feet AND meters? Or can I find a computation, that works well for each problem, and stick with that? I also have a computer as well as the diving cards for 32% & 36% and the wheel card. I believe I should know all ways of coming to an answer, not just relying on my computer. Does any of this make sense?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom