NAUI or PADI Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not mean to suggest that I personally was a DM as I most definitely am not. I sincerely apologize for the unintended deception. I was merely trying to regurgitate the same thing I have read in countless similar threads I've read while trolling on here and other boards for the past few months. Just repeating what I heard. Point taken and will reserve my posting for threads with which I have personal experience.

Oh and btw, I agree... the MP5 is a much better choice. But sadly I'm still stuck with my M4.

Why apologize? Everybody gets thumped around here on occasion. :D

H&K is always the better choice. Air Assault!

A certified DM does not a qualified DM make...my dear Grasshopper :wink:

I'm a NAUI instructor and I hand pick my help from divers whose skills I have seen in the water. Personally I don't give a rat's patootie what letters are on your card I care about whether you can set a good example for my students, work well with the rest of my staff and have the skills needed to keep your cool and solve problems both under and above the water. Every instructor expects something different but when you work with me as a DM you are my "right hand man". Flexibility on your part, no matter what agency you certify with, will make you more "desireable" as a DM. A fun, safe and flexible DM can make a trip really memorable for customers and customers who have a great trip COME BACK :wink: and that's GREAT for business. DM's who meet the needs of their customers, whether that be the "diving divas" who want all their gear set up for them or divers who don't want anyone else touching their gear, are the ones the divers enjoy the most. Give the customers what they want and the letters on your card don't matter.

Now, for employment purposes I've picked the quotes I think you should REALLY take into consideration:
Divedoggie:
If you want to work as a Divemaster and/or an AI, and you have an LDS that would like to use your services, then go with the Agency which that LDS represents.

edparris:
Of course then you'll be paying membership fees to two agencies.

Another thing you may want to check out is if PADI would let you assist in a course (and count for ratios) if you were a NAUI DM. NAUI instructors can use other agency members of corresponding ratings as a certified assistant during the open water portion of the class. I don't know if that is true for PADI (I have a hunch it's not) so you might have more opportunities to do checkouts with a PADI cert.

tedj01:
Padi is not like Naui in that regard. To assist with a course officially, Padi only allows you to use Padi certified assistants.

Pearldiver07:
Tedj01 brings up a significant point. Although most agencies allow you to use (practically) any RSTC sanctioned agency DM/DiveCon PADI has an exclusive policy. Combined with the fact that PADI is the largest of the agencies, if you plan to utilize the certification to assist, PADI would make more sense.

Good luck to you!
Ber :lilbunny:

Personally, I would do both. Especially if he can do both either consecutively or at the same time.

BTW, the poodle shooter is the better choice. The MP5 is too limited.

Tedj01 brings up a significant point. Although most agencies allow you to use (practically) any RSTC sanctioned agency DM/DiveCon PADI has an exclusive policy. Combined with the fact that PADI is the largest of the agencies, if you plan to utilize the certification to assist, PADI would make more sense.

Some people do the DM/DiveCon certification for the training and education. If this is the case, the instructor makes the most difference (and is still a significant factor anyway).

Now, what concerns me is his statement about certifying you either way. Unless you are using PADI materials and meet all of the PADI testing and evaluations, this is not a legitimate certification. If PADI finds out, they will take serious offense at his offense (pun intended). And may even rescind your certification until you do meet the testing, experience, and evaluation requirements.

Be VERY careful of an instructor who makes universal promises. I'm not so much concened abouth the "either/or" proposal, but how he/she intends to get you there.

Hope that this helps,

Pearl Diver07 is correct.There may be topics in a NAUI course that may impart some of the same information as a Padi DM course ,but the difference lies in HOW the presentation is conducted and of course the standards and procedures required by PADI.Must use PADI materials for at DM level the dm must be familiar with materials ,there by when teaching a class on "the wheel" or PADI RDP as an example you know what you are talking about.I would not use a dm certified this way in a PADI course.It is also a major diservice to a prospective dm as when he/she goes on to a IDC/IE they would be lost with the different tools and standards they are supposed to know already.

If you plan to get full instructor cerification in NAUI you'll have to go to a place that will teach you. There is not the same number of places or a easily done with NAUI.

It also involves getting reviewed by the NAUI board and sounds not unlike defending a Master thesis.

On the Other hand having NAUI makes you more likely to be the ONLY NAUI instructor in a given area... sometimes the only one in the state...lol

NAUI has started adding more specialty classes (ala PADI) so you can start making more money with the specialty classes. Granted as a student they are far and few between and are almost private lessions for the few students that attend them.

I think under PADI your a MEMBER from the begining of your first class?
In NAUI you get a cert card, but your not really a member until your an instructor?

Granted as a student I don't like PADI because they seem to pimp you for every dollar and add more specialty classes for thengs then just teaching them to you in the standard class.
Granted thats probably why they have more revenue too. Keeps you involved with the dive shop, always comming back for classes and spending more money.

On a personal level I'd say go NAUI becuase I'd like to see it grow.
On a practical buisness level, PADI is probably easier to make a living at as an instructor or a shop.

Thats just my perspective though...

The nice thing about being a NAUI instructor, once your certified as an instructor you can teach OW through AI/DM with a few specialty exceptions (tech diving comes to mind). You don't start out as an open water instructor then progress to an advanced open water instructor, etc. I definitely recommend one year of teaching OW only before teaching an AOW class even though you're certified to do it. Getting a year of teaching under your belt lets you gain some practical experience before you have to get in front of certified divers and strut your stuff.

It just means they need to use materials for both agencies during the program, no problem!

The nice thing about being a NAUI instructor, once your certified as an instructor you can teach OW through AI/DM with a few specialty exceptions (tech diving comes to mind). You don't start out as an open water instructor then progress to an advanced open water instructor, etc. I definitely recommend one year of teaching OW only before teaching an AOW class even though you're certified to do it. Getting a year of teaching under your belt lets you gain some practical experience before you have to get in front of certified divers and strut your stuff.
Teaching over OpenH2O is not alone to NAUI. I know that PADI Instructors and also PDIC Instructors can teach up to Divemaster and Dive Supervisor respectively.

Teaching over OpenH2O is not alone to NAUI. I know that PADI Instructors and also PDIC Instructors can teach up to Divemaster and Dive Supervisor respectively.

Then what is a PADI OWI and a PADI AOWI? I'm not familiar with the leadership levels of PDIC. I didn't mean NAUI was the only one that did that but I remembered a friend saying as soon as he certified "x" number of students he could be a PADI master instructor or something (I was confused). An SSI instructor friend said he can't train DiveCon's with his cert level...again I was confused. Anyone who can explain the differences in the levels of instructor under the other agencies (I know NAUI's) gets a big hug :D

PADI starts at OWSI which can train up to DiveMaster.
After 25 certs you can then apply for MSDT if you can teach at least 5 specialties.
After that you can become an IDCS and then teach AI.
Then after some more certs and time you can apply for MI.
Then it is on to CD where you can then train OWSIs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom