Nauticam with ikelite strobes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nauticam bulkhead holes are indeed threaded. The o-ring situation is as you describe but only one for mounting the bulkhead (at least for the vacuum ones).
Bill

Nauticam bulkhead holes are indeed threaded. The o-ring situation is as you describe but only one for mounting the bulkhead (at least for the vacuum ones).
Bill
Thanks for the feedback. I lurned something today! Soon I will be almost as smart as our cat. (who seems to get fed and cared for by my divebuddy without actually doing any chores around the house!)

As I described previously, old style Sea & Sea housings featured a non threaded hole through the housing. This makes total sense as these housings were too thin to provide a threaded hole (around 3mm thickness at the bulkhead).

I found this description relating to nauticam bulkhead Nauticam International Ltd. and it alludes to the "housing is threaded" concept.

There are pros & cons to both designs.

Con: The Nauticam threaded approach means you need to provide a thicker casing at the bulkhead point to ensure there is sufficient housing thickness to not strip the threads when tightening. I am unsure how thick the housing needs to be. It also means that all bulkheads must be size and thread compatible.

Pro: The Nauticam threaded approach means you do not need to provide any "extra" internal space for the bulkhead nut. This allows a more compact housing. In my experience this is a significant issue on housing real estate.

My last DIY project involved adding a Sea&Sea Nikonos bulkhead connector to an elcheapo Meikon housing for a Canon G16. At first glance there were several places that I could drill a hole in the housing. Upon careful inspection this was reduced to a single location. This single location was dictated by the internal clearance needed for the nut to secure the bulkhead connector. The bulkhead connector required a 16mm un-threaded hole but the internal nut needed 22mm of flat surface. This 22mm dictated the location.

P.S. I assume the Nauticam housings provide a non tapered bottomed tapped hole that depends upon a standard dual o-ring seal? This sealing mechanism would be equivalent to the S&S model I describe but would remove the need for a large internal flat surface for the locking nut.

The holes are definitely by my measurement not tapered at all. Single o-ring gets screwed down to the top of the housing. No nut, There are 16 mm and 14 mm designs (why?)
Maybe that is why they are heavy
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom