Navarre Beach Pier and Pensacola Beach Reef 8-26-6 Dive Report & Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howard - no problem, come on bac down!

KansaiKitsune:
I can't remember -- was that tank you loaned to me an Al or a Steel? Trying to figure it out for weighting purposes.

Aluminum 80cf/3000psi

I enjoyed your photos. One thing you may not have noticed is that the butterflyfish you took a picture of is a reef butterflyfish. I don't think these are too common in the northern Gulf of Mexico, especially inshore at a such a shallow depth. Humann's book says they are found mostly at depths >50 ft. I am only a snorkeler, but an extremely avid one. I have never seen a reef butterflyfish anywhere while snorkeling in the Caribbean, and certainly not around Destin where I have snorkeled alot. Juvenile spotfin butterflies are what you usually see in Destin, and sometimes banded butterflies.

I have never been to the Navarre Pier, but would like to go check it out sometime on a calm day. Do you think it would be good snorkeling? It looks perhaps like the water may be a little murkier there than in Destin. I know by the time you get to Pensacola the visibility usually declines relative to Destin.

Dave C, Thanks for the fish ID. I did notice the butterfly was a different variety than the normal butterflies we see more commonly. I've never seen one inshore or offshore, actually. Could be a released pet?

Incase anyone was wondering which fish...

Butterfly.jpg

Destin jetties usually have better visibility, in no little part due to clear water insurgence during the tides, I'm sure.

Navarre can be very clear as well, just gotta hit it on the correct day :) It would make for a nice snorkel. We had 20'+ visibility towards the end of the pier. Reports from Destin on the previous day were at 30', so not a big difference. I would also look into the Pensacola Beach Reef(where I took the Reef Butterflyfish picture).

I doubt it's an aquarium release. I have a saltwater aquarium, so I am pretty familiar with what is normally available in the trade. Almost all the butterflies for sale come from the Indo-Pacific; in fact almost all the saltwater aquarium fish come from this region. I think most likely you were fortunate in seeing a waif individual outside its normal range and habitat, and that you were also fortunate to take a photo to document its presence!

That makes me feel a bit better about the photo then :) It was the best out of several attempts and by no means very good. The fish was skittish, but it did stick around the same set of pylons throughout our dive - so possibly a chance to run into it again?

I don't see your sunday lunch date report.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Howard - no problem, come on bac down!

Aluminum 80cf/3000psi

Funny that you should mention that. What are the conditions projected for afternoon of the 9th? I have to be in lower MS until about 11 am that day then back home. I have to fly out the following day around noonish, but if I just do the Whiskey. Hell, I might have most of Friday to play hookie. Sounds like an opportunity to get wet.
Howard

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom