Navigation....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stone once bubbled...

The EyeSea and Neverlost are underwater direction and ranging devices (the technical term is "Navigation Doohickys").
I think the one I saw was the Neverlost, but I can't remember for sure. It was orange and the divers showed us what they do with it...basically a piece with a boltsnap goes on the anchor line and each diver has a wrist mounted unit that looks a lot like a dive computer. There was a little anchor icon on the wrist display showing where the anchorline unit was on each of the wrist units. They made it back on the boat, so I guess it worked :D ..

Stone once bubbled...

The EyeSea and Neverlost are underwater direction and ranging devices (the technical term is "Navigation Doohickys").

And I'm sure they're DIR-approved, right?

:)

Arnaud once bubbled...

I think it is time to invent the perfect underwater GPS so we can just follow the arrows back. R

Blue Space once bubbled...
I have a brain fart question here....

Is there anyway you can find you start point with out tracking your route from the start point...

Example: I start at point a and swim around for awhile. How do I get back to the place I started with out counting swim kicks and exact direction.....

I know I know I need to take a navigation course....But I've dove with some pretty experienced divers and we've been off course several times.....

Fire away I can take it.......

And Brian no word from you...:eek:

Time. Count minutes and swim at a more or less constant speed (ie slow). I use this technique all the time and I can often come out just metres away from where I started after an hour under water (and with avg 3 metres viz). It may take a little practice to get a feeling for "more or less constant speed" but you can do it. The nicest part about this technique is that the longer the time, the more accurate this method becomes. :) Perfect for long dives.

I also use bottom features extensively. Know in your mind what what shorline looks like above water because that's what the slope of the bottom will look like under water. For example if the shoreline has a point on it above water you can probably bet your testacles that you'll see it under water too. The trick is to realise what you're seeing. Look along the shore and see, for example, where it looks like a lot of rocks may have slid into the water. If you see a lot of rocks on the bottom during your dive then you'll have an idea where you are. Be creative but don't get extreme about it or you'll waste a lot of time looking for needles in haystacks.

Pick landmarks as you swim. NOt a lot. A few and remember them. Look back over your shoulder or between your legs at your landmark after you've passed it to see what it's going to look like on the way back. Where I dive we have a lot of bow-nets in the water. I make a mental note of where I see the buoys/anchors before I get in the water and when I get to the net I know where I am.

Current. Tidal waters usually have some current and you can use this to know your compass direction. For example, if you're diving in a tidal inlet and the tide is going out then the direction of the current shows you which way the mouth of the inlet is. This, like many of the other techniques requires to you have a mental map of the site before you start. Where I live the current usally runs parallel to the shore too so it makes orientation easy. Next time you dive look at which way the current runs.

Depth. If you know how deep various parts of a divesite are then you can problaby locate yourself on a mental map using depth. Deeper is often away from shore and shallower is often in the direction of shore.

Sand. Sometimes sand will ripple on the bottom. It usually does this parallel to shore.

Look ahead. Swim from object to object under water (like rocks, or even from one starfish to the next), don't just put your head down and go. Most people will swim in circles with their eyes closed (or head down) and after a short time you won't know which way you're swimming any more. Swimming from object to object keeps you going in a much straighter line.

mmmmmmmm. Can't think of any more that use a lot.

oh yeah. ... :) the compass. When in doubt use a compass. I recently had an experience of getting flushed into a shipping lane on a deep dive. We swam mid-water for 25 min on a compass with no references and in heavy current to get back to the shore and we ended up only about 50 meters away from the entry point. It takes practice and it takes "trust". You must trust your compass even if you think it's wrong.

Most of these techniques are covered in a decent navigation course.

R..

O-ring once bubbled...
Know "generally" where you are going and use a lot of landmarks. That way, if you get close, you can spot the landmark and know you are there.

Of course, in zero vis this becomes problematic. You can use a strobe to help out (leaving it on your point of origin - anchor line, whatever) or one of those homing doohickeys..

LOL we're going to have to rename you "the gadget guy" :)

R..

Arnaud once bubbled...

Scooters mess them all up. Three of us were riding scooters and one of the people on the boat had the Eyesea(sp?) one. She said it went all wild when we scootered by......but we were not in sight so she couldn't figure out what was going on. She figured it out back on the boat and told us about it. Everytime we were going in she asked if were going to take the scooters :D

Karen

I was going to suggest breadcrumbs but maybe that's not such a good idea. :wink:

Why do divers often get lost while navigating with a compass?

Because they forget to wind the bazel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom