Navigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One word of advice...do NOT "follow the arrow"! I actually think my instructor was about to give up on me during my navigation dive..but I really had never held or used, much less depend on a compass before..and my first instinct was to go where the arrow was pointing! (Ok...this is another one of those embarrassing stories..seem to have alot of them!) After some land work I finally understood the point and things improved after that.

Just wanted to share that one..thought you would all get a chuckle!

it wasnt on my navigation but it was while navigating to a supposed "lost buddy" during my rescue course.

We were using a toilet that had been moved off of a wreck. I was doing all the questioning while kitting up and all the fun prep stuff. Decended, started looking for this toilet/buddy. When I was looking round I suddenly got tapped by my instructor who had a big frown on his face. I'd been looking for quite sometime by this stage and was sure I should have found the toilet/buddy....we turned back and I navigated back to the boat. When we surfaced, I was told I had found the spot where the toilet had been...just a shame some divers off a shore nearby had come and swipped it inbetween when my dad had found it and then me!

To say I was confused is a major understatement!

Using the terrain to navigate is a good idea for many reasons.

During our PADI navigation course, my buddy was so fixated on her compass that she plowed right into the instructor at the start/goal area. Unfortunately, the instructor did not see us coming because he was signaling another group to start their navigation execise.

LOL about the loo, Abby :p - is that normal in the rescue course to rescue inanimate objects? I thought you had to rescue real people?

And Scubabunny - I laughed at your mention of NOT following the arrow too, it takes a bit of getting used to. I've always thought it must be so funny to observe someone doing their navigation course - when I did mine (for OW - the surface swim counting fin kicks and swimming in a certain direction according to the compass) I kept zig-zagging backwards and forwards to keep the compass heading in between the notches!

:)

Ok... so, nearly every week I get to dive in low viz (<9feet or 3meters) and sometimes high current conditions. I have not completed a navigation course, but I feel relatively ok about my navigation skills. I am just wondering about the techniques that are taught. I am usually too engrossed in A) keeping track of my buddy, and B) staying on course C) trying to enjoy my surroundings that I do not track "kick cycles". I sometimes keep track of relative time, like "we should have seen the [insert landmark here] by now, maybe we should turn around or adjust course". I wonder how realistic it is to start your dive with the "I am going to navigate a [insert geometric shape here] plan"? Don't get me wrong, I -could- do it (where's my slate?) I just I am not sure that it's valuable, or even enjoyable... So, How many of you carry all(or most) of the things that you learned in your Nav. class into your actual dive planning (and execution)?

-kate

I really don't rely on a plan but while underwater I take note of my location and suroundings and don't head in one direction longer than any other.

Last night I completed my course work for my Navigation class (video, bookwork, lecture and test). Now on to the good stuff.

I will be heading to the Gilboa quarry in Ohio this weekend. I too am a little nervous as my on land sense of direction is not that great so imagine how I feel under the water. But as always I like to step out of my comfort zone and work on ways to improve. This will be a great accomplishment for me and I know I will be thrilled when I am done. I to have had my compass with me alot. I even use it to plot a course to my oven while I am baking!!!

Laine

Laine,

The great thing about compass' are that you don't have to rely on a "sense" of direction. You can do it! I believe you will come to use a number of types of navigation on a dive. They work together. (You know the old diver back-up plans go for navigation, too!)

Have fun!

-becky

Back
Top Bottom