Navy Seals Dive to 1200 m?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To_Narced

Registered
Reaction score
OK I read a post on here a while back where someone was claiming that Navy Seals dive to 1200m breathing a liquid like in the movie the abyss. Is this true? has anyone else heard of this. I cant stop thinking about it.

They must be ROBO-SEAL, NOT ROBOCOP!:10:

You'll not hear them tell you that, at least not sober. :frlol:

The SEALs I worked with had no need to go very deep.

On the other hand, the saturation divers did go pretty deep, although nothing like 1200 meters.

That post also talked about no deco, which I see no reason to consider possible.

Here's an interesting article w/ background/history of fluid breathing. I would think that the solution doesn't have any nitrogen, thus the lack of deco.

Doesn't say anything about depth though.

I can't imagine why a SEAL would ever need to go deep at all, much less 1200m... and I've never heard of anyone actually *doing* a dive with the liquid. The only application I've found reference to is in medical treatment for certain types of lung conditions.

rtkane:
Here's an interesting article w/ background/history of fluid breathing. I would think that the solution doesn't have any nitrogen, thus the lack of deco.

Doesn't say anything about depth though.

Another neat thing about this liquid is it's other uses.

"Fluorinert" can be used for all kinds of stuff. It can be used to displace blood during a heart transplant and also is non conductive. The good thing about it being non conductive is that you can place electrical components in it fully sumberged with electrical shock or shorting out the electrical circuit.

We used it for submerging high voltage circuit boards that would overheat in an "air" environment. For demonstration purposes though, we had a radio in an aquarium full of the liquid that was plugged into 110v electrical and speakers (outside aquarium) to show people that electrical devices did indeed work in fluorinert while submerged.

mike

The liquid is available and is called liquivent. It is used in cases where lungs have been damaged by heat, for example.

Remember that for ths to be successful, all of the air spaces in the body must be filled with this liquid. Sinuses, the nose, ears, all of it. That means the mask, too. Also, PPO2 would still be an issue. That means variance in the amount of dissolved O2, which translates into a need to mix the O2 into the liquid. On the surface, this isn't a problem. That deep, very small amounts of O2 would be toxic.

Why would SEALS need to go this deep? The post referred to suggested that the SEALS were burying themselves in the sand on the bottom, in order to ambush enemy submarines. What rubbish. What are the odds that the subs will pass over a diver? Even so, how would a diver catch one? They are moving far faster than a diver. If the diver uses a scotter or other propulsion, why not just use a smart weapon, or a mine?

I think this is pure science fiction, at least for use by attacking SEALs.

sharpenu:
(...)Remember that for ths to be successful, all of the air spaces in the body must be filled with this liquid. Sinuses, the nose, ears, all of it.(...)
Flooding sinuses is possible, at least I think, I read that Mayol did it when he broke the freediving record. Once you've flooded your lungs, it doesn't seem much more inconvenient to also flood your sinuses. As for the mask, I think you could probably wear corrective lenses. (I'm not saying it's done, just that this could maybe be possible)

Agreed on the use for navy seals for this. Especially the "covered in mud watching submarines" (that apparently don't ever go to that depth) part.

I don't know anything about PPO2, but I did read something about some other problems:
http://bluespherepubs.com/pages/movies/abyss.html
About The Abyss:
"(...) Divers have to work way too hard to extract oxygen from them and then become prone to lung infections after they're drained. And divers who descend too quickly to great depths, say in excess of 600 feet, are indeed prone to HPNS, which causes their neural circuits to run a bit haywire. But the results are severely distorted vision rather than paranoid thought patterns. But paranoid works better in the movies. (...)"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom