NC Diver Missing From Frying Pan Tower

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCSU_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
This weekend three divers took to the waters off the NC coast at the Frying Pan tower. After being pushed by stong currents they surfaced far from the boat which they had anchored. Nobody was on the boat only the three divers that were in the water. One made it back to their personal boat and another was found by the USCG while flashing his light during the night. Currently there is still one missing. He was seen by the one diver who made it back to the boat but after the safe diver pulled the anchor and turned the boat around, he was gone. Just wanted to let you guys know to keep him in your prayers.

And for anybody diving off their personal boat, leave somebody on the boat at all times and make sure you are trained enough to handle any situation that might arrise. I am not sure what the extent of the training these divers had had, but doing a drift dive at the tower is not for the untrained. We hate to see this happen to you when you come down to the coast and visit.

Anyway keep the fingers crossed for his safe return to shore.

This makes two incidents off the NC coast this past weekend...

same incident....

Yea thats the same one. I don't know if they left out of bald head Island or what but I heard they went to the tower to do a drift dive. Its all over the news here at Topsail but yet to see any online articles.

NCSU_Diver:
Yea thats the same one. I don't know if they left out of bald head Island or what but I heard they went to the tower to do a drift dive. Its all over the news here at Topsail but yet to see any online articles.

I posted the Bald Head Island version in Accidents and Incidents, it was an article that I got from our local news site, WRAL. Here is the link

It doesn't mention Topsail, but I think they got the Bald Head Island portion because that's where the search area was for the third man after the second was found 9 miles SE of Bald Head. I'm not familiar with that part of the beach, so I'm not sure where or what Frying Pan Tower is exactly.

Back
Top Bottom