NC: Scuba diver dies after rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So sad.

It would be helpful to know what the cause of death was in the event that it could be something scuba related, such as a seizure. Though I know it would be awfully unlikely to be related to O2 toxicity as this dive was well within the MOD for the mix that they recommend and use at this shop.

Greg and Rlskll, I am sorry to hear about Dan's death.

Thank you for sharing what you did share with ScubaBoard.

Giant stride negative entries are counter to some agencies training in that the diver doesn't assess his situation and signal an OK prior to descent. From experience in your waters, a lot of low time divers aren"t prepared for the higher decks, the higher seas, higher currents, and the negative entry. This may have been a factor in this accident.

I'd guess that in our currents not hanging onto the anchor line would be far more dangerous.

Sunday was a pretty average day in terms of conditions on the water. Though that can certainly vary by location.

For those not familiar with the Carolina rig we use here, there is a hang line/bar at 15 feet running underneath the boat which is then connected to the anchor line which is attached to the wreck. We do negative entries and meet our buddies at the hang line before descent. That line can certainly bounce a bit which is why I don't do my safety stop on it unless conditions are favorable. I do it on the anchor line. But the anchor line is fixed to the wreck and generally doesn't bounce much at all even if the boat does. There is too much tension on it. We always wear gloves and sometimes carry jon lines and such, so it is pretty easy to control your position in the water if you are on the line.

Giant stride negative entries are counter to some agencies training in that the diver doesn't assess his situation and signal an OK prior to descent. From experience in your waters, a lot of low time divers aren"t prepared for the higher decks, the higher seas, higher currents, and the negative entry. This may have been a factor in this accident.

Understood. But should a diver take time on the surface to stop and signal an OK she may very well end up a mile from the boat. We do meet our buddy at the hang line at 15 feet, do our buddy checks, get anything that needs to be sorted out sorted out, and signal OK to each other before we descend. The captains and mates are usually bubble watching as we do.

And you are correct, a lot of divers far more experienced than I am are not prepared for the new environment here. I always recommend that divers new to these conditions/conditions like them split up their normal buddy pairs and pair up with someone well familiar with the diving conditions here. That's what I did when I first started diving offshore here and it made a lot of difference in my learning curve.

My understanding was that the group on the boat had a lot of experience here.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the apperent lack of spring straps in this incident...

All, Dan was a friend, a co-worker and a dive buddy. This was not his first trip to the Carolina's diving. His wife has informed us that it could be some time before a definitive answer is known. In the mean time we will have to be patient for the official cause. Dan was a good and knowledgeable diver and he will be missed by many people.

I just wanted to share what little information had been added. There currently seems to be no medical reason for this tragedy. Futher toxicology results will take weeks. I just wanted to post an update even though it seems uninformative.

I just wanted to share what little information had been added. There currently seems to be no medical reason for this tragedy. Futher toxicology results will take weeks. I just wanted to post an update even though it seems uninformative.
No, I'd say that is quite informative as I expected a medical problem to be revealed. So now it's something that could happen to any of us and we have no idea...!!

Unfortunately, there are a number of ways someone could pass out momentarily, and not even know it. On land, you simply continue to breath unconcious. Under the water, you can lose your regulator, and drown. From what I understand, rescuing an unconsious diver is extermely difficult, even for someone with rescue diver training. It is a risk we all take when we dive. I really hope they find out what went wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

I have the name of this diver if its proper to post. It has appeared in our local paper. I can send a link.

Back
Top Bottom