NE Kayak Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldiver

Reaction score
Anyone on board done any kayak diving around North Shore/Cape Ann area? Any info/experiences you'd like to share? I'm intrigued by doing this type of diving, and it seems there are many possible entry points and areas of opportunity. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

There was a good article this month in Rodel’s. I’ve been reading and researching this subject for a month now. Your right, it looks like a great way to have access to dive sights to far out for shore divers, yet more versatile than a dive boat for near-shore diving. Plus it looks like fun and good exorcise. There are a few good resources on-line.

I’m planning on pursuing the kayak matter this winter. I’ll be buying a kayak and I might even take a specialty course offered out in California (see http://www.asudoit.com/diving/scuba_kayak/scuba_kayak.html ). In the meantime, I’ll be practicing my ditching and donning on the surface as that seems to be a handy skill for a scuba kayaker. I’d also like to here of any locals with expertise on this subject….Al

I got into kayak diving last year, and dove 3 or 4 times off of my Scupper Pro TW (an excellent dive platform by the way). We tended to launch from Pebble beach, mostly due to the easy parking. We did a few dives straight out by Milk island, and once or twice we paddled up to Loblolly cove.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten the chance to dive off the kayak this year yet :-( I'm still hoping to use it a few times before the weather turns. We had talked about taking a spare tank along and paddling over to Thatcher island to do a few dives and spend the day.

As far as courses, your best bet would be to go to Ocean State Scuba in RI. They run a kayak specialty course that's pretty thorough. Another alternative is to read through the info on http://www.kayakdiving.com/ He also has a book that you could get which covers a lot of topics.

Gary

If you are closer to nh discoverdiving.com in atkinson nh which is very southern nh has a great kayak diving instructor named John becker, i have taken many many classes from him and i watched one of his classes before i chose him as my instructor. He is a great guy and will do you no wrong.

Thanks for the replies. You're right, Gary, an excellent source of info is Mark Theobald's website www.kayakdiving.com. The disc has really got me going and will keep me fired up during the winter months. In addition to the Scupper Pro TW (my first choice), I'm also looking at the Drifter also by Ocean Kayak. Broader beam, but I'm not sure it increases usable space. If anyone has info on the Drifter, please post. Hey, if we get enough interest, maybe we can get together and do some dives!

Dive Safe,
Ken

I looked at the Drifter before buying, but decided that it was a little too big for my needs. The Scupper makes a really excellent dive platform, and once you get used to balancing yourself on it, it feels very stable. I don't think the increased stability of the Drifter would make all that much difference, and I would guess that you will have a tougher time paddling it with the added width.

I'm always interested in getting together for some dives! Maybe if we can get enough NELD'ers to start Kayaking, we can start a sub-group ... New England Kayaking Lobstah Divers???

Gary

Two of my instructors both have kayaks, (coulda sworn Ocean Kayak, but none of the models seem to match what thay have). Both are tandems, similar to the Malabu Two. They actually get the most use over at Folly Cove, where the number of people assisting the class will dictate how its being used. Sometime it only makes it as far as the waterline, where it can be a pretty steady object for new students to brace against as they make their way into the water.

If there's a lot of help, someone will follow the class out on the surface in the kayak. Makes life easy to take their weight belt, and if they're done for the day, they can climb on, and get a ride around, or a ride in if life's miserable for them.

I will say, those plastic kayaks will stand up to just about anything in terms of abuse though!

A friend of mine (PADI instructor and avid kayak diver) and I tried to pilot a kayak diving specialty at UnitedDivers this summer. They happen to keep 3 kayaks which are never used by anybody. We had the owner's blessing, but he didn't cooperate much, since he was very sceptical about the demand for this specialty. All we ended up doing was testing the kayaks at Charles river and in Rockport on a few occasions. Good boats - too bad nobody is using them.

We currently have a plan to launch the specialty next summer. If UDI don't want to do this, we will find another store, which would be more open to the potential of this sport. If anybody has any thought or would like to help - please let me know.

As for north shore kayak diving sites -- there are tons of them. For example, the wall between Hallibut point and Folley is a great diving spot, which is not easily reachable by surface swimming. The Chester Polling is about half a mile from shore (about 20 minute paddling), though I wouldn't try this particular dive from a kayak without tons of equippment, training and surface support.

From Back beach one can reach the Rockport breakwater in less than an hour away. You can park there and use the boulders to gear up! Charles heigh is also close by. I have done this one by kayak - definitely worth the paddling.

There are probably 101 ways you can use a kayak on the north shore.

I am definitely up to doing kayak dives. If anybody plans on going, let me know and I might join you with my kayak.

Kayak diving is an unbeatable way to expand your diving experience! :thumb:

"We currently have a plan to launch the specialty next summer. If UDI don't want to do this, we will find another store, which would be more open to the potential of this sport. If anybody has any thought or would like to help - please let me know"

We will work with you on this next summer. Just let me know the sepcifics

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you for offering support. The first diveshop to hop aboard has a good chance of becoming the leader in this newly emerging sport in Mass. There are multiple bumps and hazards on the road though.

I will try to talk to you before I leave for Bonaire.

-Nick

P.S. NELD: Anybody else interested in going kayak diving, getting involved in teaching, or perhaps launching a club? Le'me know...

Back
Top Bottom