NE Wreckdiving and Artifact Obsession

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm personally in the middle....I agree with the notion of keeping it down there, it's not yours or mine to take. Not exactly the same thing here but similar....a few years ago the bow of the U853 broke off and now lays in the sand just ahead of the wreck. It was my absolute favorite part of the wreck. To look straight down the bow of the U853 was an experience. I would love to have the bow cleaned up and sitting in my living room as a history display (if I could even lift it - work with me for this point). At the same time, maybe there are other divers who most look forward to seeing the bow when they do the U.

At the same time, I know it is a matter of time before it's gone. This wreck has changed A LOT in the 4 years I have been diving her. I can imagine the perspective from the people who have been diving it 20 years. If I found something really cool on a wreck, I too would take it. I also know if I don't take it, someone else will.

--Matt

At the same time, I know it is a matter of time before it's gone. This wreck has changed A LOT in the 4 years I have been diving her. I can imagine the perspective from the people who have been diving it 20 years. If I found something really cool on a wreck, I too would take it. I also know if I don't take it, someone else will.

--Matt[/QUOTE]
Matt I have been diving it for 15 years. Some of my dive buddies have been diving it for over 20 (they remember when some of the wood deck was still there). Although it has changed and will continue to change, I still think it is as impressive as the day my wife and I first dove her! Of course it is nicer on weekdays when you don't have a bunch of boats on her!

So no-one would be upset when I cut the conning tower off the 853, 'cause I think it'll look cool in my yard? Just kidding of course. Speaking of the U-853, I heard someone say that the props that are at Castle Hill Inn are in a bad way, anyone know about that?

capt_mark:
So no-one would be upset when I cut the conning tower off the 853, 'cause I think it'll look cool in my yard? Just kidding of course. Speaking of the U-853, I heard someone say that the props that are at Castle Hill Inn are in a bad way, anyone know about that?
Not at all. They were purchased by the Naval War College museum. I am not sure what the plans for them are. I know that the museum is trying to work out an exhibition plan for some of their collections at Ft Adams.

Unbelievable.........banging on a shell with a pipe wrench. WOW!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom