Neah Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What kinds of DPV distances and cruise speeds are people doing around PNW in the cold, murky, currenty waters? 500 meters (one-way) seems doable, but probably only along a shoreline or safe reference feature, and without fighting current. Pushing further might be possible, but only with an extremely reliable route, zero chance of current/swell issues, and a very good backup/exit/signaling/rescue plan for DPV failure. A large SMB, AIS beacon (Nautilus), PLB, strobe, whistle etc should be considered.

I budget ~25 meters a minute of progress, at the default cruise speed for a Dive Xtras Blacktip in drysuit & tec gear (pony/extra/bailout cylinders). Faster is possible, but conservatism is warranted.

Looking at the NOAA Bathymetry, are there not also some interesting finger-like features on the east side of the bay (see pic?)

As of 2023, which parking & launching spots at Neah are realistic for welcome public access to the water for recreational divers? Are visiting divers welcome at First Beach/Baada Point, for example?

Slightly off-topic, which boat diving charters will be operating out there this year?

Last time I was out at the Cape (for surfing), someone's car had been stolen that morning :censored:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-13 at 1.42.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-13 at 1.42.40 PM.png
    404.7 KB · Views: 38
So, how was it?

Did you die?
Sorry, got home and haven't stopped long enough to think about it. Overall it was a good trip. Unless you have a scooter or the willingness to climb down the jetty on the rez or isn't a good shore dive area. Both me and my buddy had scooters and made a few 1+ hour dives with a max depth of 29 ft. Lots of current and surge even at slack tide. Interesting critters, but hardly anything to drive 4 hours to see. I wouldn't go back unless we were on a boat.

GX010255_1681702922641.jpg

At slack tide the kelp tells the story.
GX010253_1681701684036.jpg

GX010253_1681701718336.jpg

GX010243_1681701159925.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom