Near blackout during ascending

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
hello scuba friends,

Im a new diver, at least for a year. Every time I ascend, slowly, constant breathing. When i get close enough to the top maybe 6ft, my ears crackle or sounds like static from a radio. I start to get dizzy and the feeling of blacking out, but eventually everything works out. Im not breathing different, or ascending fast (in fact im ascending super slow using a ascent line. I HATE this feeling. Please help, im enjoying diving and dont want tongive up. My wife is pushing to stop. Btw, my DAN doctor says everything looks fine.

I occasionally get a bit of vertigo ascending--consensus is one ear equalising before the other. But nothing near blacking out or crackling sounds. Will be interested in reading replies.

I usually get a crackling sound as I approach the surface also, but never had a dizzy feeling or anything resembling a blackout. I can feel my ears equalizing and the sound is just part of it.
At depth, I hear the same sound, albeit a little quieter. It's one of my indicators that I've ascended a little.

Here's a theory based on what I experienced once when diving while sick.

Crackling can be your ears equalizing as the air expands (90% of my dives I hear this, considering it normal) dizziness is because your body uses your ears for balance and that occasionally gets thrown off as the pressure equalizes (Link below). Dizzy can feel like you're about to pass out because normally that's what happens after.

Alert Diver | Understanding Alternobaric Vertigo

If your doctor who has seen you doesn't have a diagnosis, I certainly won't suggest one. Hope you find a second opinion or further results.

If you ascend up a sloped bottom to the shore instead of in open water does it feel the same?

Good luck,
Cameron

You need to start clearing your ears at breakfast well prior to the dive and often up till the dive....my 2 cents anyway.

I have on occasion had my head spin just before I break the surface. I blame it on my ears not equalizing properly and I ignore it somewhat by thinking my way through those seconds. I tend to surface very slowly during the last 6 feet or so and that seems to help. No reason to rush...
Hope you get it worked out.

I always have the cracking sound in my ears as I ascend. I don't know anyone who that doesn't happen to. That's just the air expanding and causing your ears to equalize.

I've never heard of getting dizzy though. Maybe it's an inner ear thing? After all, your ears do drive your balance.

I also hear a crackling when my ears equalize upon rising in the water column. I don't think that the noise portion is an issue.

I've had a similar feeling before a few times. It was due to a reverse blockage, not a good feeling. Equalizing gently while ascending made it go away for me.

Back
Top Bottom