Need a hand signal for "Wow"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid:
What does holding fist on forehead mean? :wink:
"Oy...I am such a knucklehead!!"
Could also be used after pointing to someone else...But if I can't "say" something nice, I try not to say anything at all. :angel:

airsix:
Rather than continuing to invent new signs you could just look up the American Sign Language sign for the word and be good to go. It is a complete turn-key non-verbal language. Why reinvent the wheel?

-Ben
absolutely agree. You can fingerspell at least until you expand your ASL vocab. Here is a system that works and is constant, why do divers keep trying to make up signs when no one else knows what they are signing???

>>Rather than continuing to invent new signs you could just look up the American Sign Language sign for the word and be good to go. It is a complete turn-key non-verbal language. Why reinvent the wheel?<<

One reason being that many signs in sign language are performed using two hands which is not preferred in diving. Second, lesser reason for Americans, sign language around the world differs so one dialect does not make you understood globally. We try to modify/simplify some making them into one-handed versions which may work.

Diver0001:
I use the "hang loose" sign

We use it too-- it's the 'shaka' from Hawaii.

I notice that DAN sells a standard scuba sign language book. Anyone use it? Was it useful?

RumBum:
absolutely agree. You can fingerspell at least until you expand your ASL vocab. Here is a system that works and is constant, why do divers keep trying to make up signs when no one else knows what they are signing???
Yeah, but just try the ASL for "best" while diving and watch your buddy try to figure out why you want to buddy-breath on the surface...:eyebrow:

http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-signs/g/good-better-best.htm

Same problem with ASL for "good" and "bad". Part of the action looks like the PADI signal to request air/2nd-stage from one's buddy.

Just being a diablo advocatus...ASL is the place I start when I'm trying to figure out a clear way to say something new under water.

Of course, now that I have WetNotes.... clarity just requires a pencil!

piikki:
I can't open Diver0001's 'hang loose' sign at the computer I am right now. It might be the same as our 'cool'
which is the very youthful (hopefully not gangish) right hand up with thumb, index and pinkie straigh up and rest of the fingers bent towards palm.

Does this sign have any other meanings? It seems to be widely understood?

This is what I use as well. I believe I looked it up in a Signed English book. It means wow (well, it was documented as "cool"). You can also do "too cool" by putting up a peace sign (for 2), then doing the hang loose sign. Note that the hang loose sign should be be moved as indicated by Diver0001's bitmap.

- ChillyWaters

Tavi:
>>I usually just take my reg out of my mouth and give my buddy an ear to ear smile!<<

That reminds me - before a little dental episode in early August I too just removed the reg and formed a very exaggerated wow with my mouth. Now that the tooth is back together I can go back to that ... thermoclines permitting....

Yesterday I actually had company while snorkelling (thanks guys!) and we were looking around for cool critters. Ok so I do the look signal than point at the critter in question and my buddy signs ok if he sees it or gives me a wierd look if he can't see what I'm looking at. Sometimes there was more than one critter in the area where I was pointing so it was difficult to get my point across. If it was a crab or something grabable I finally had to resort to picking it up and handing it to my buddy. Like I found a BIG crab who had lost a fight with something else much bigger (that I didn't want to meet) and was missing both claws. I thought this was particularly ineresting so the crab got handed to my buddy but I prefer not to interfere with the marine life if I don't have to.

So I need signs for:
crab
grouper
you just missed the sennet AGAIN!
cunner
tataug
butterfly fish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom