Need a Little Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVDiver:
This is true, it is also true that you will freeze you "geezer" off. Ha Ha excuse the pun.
A proper undergarment will not compress and lose its insulating properties... Note I said "proper." Most people spend a bunch on the shell and then go cheap on the underarment, using sweats, etc. in some cases.

A proper boot-type thinsulite undergarment, for example, won't compress and will insulate you when you're shrink wrapped. I ice dive in my dry suit "shrink wrapped" and have no problmes.

This is yet another case of "cascading" problems that are so common among recreational divers:

Problem 1: Buying poor undergarments, so you're cold.
Solution 1: Put more air in suit.
Problem 2: Buoyancy problems due to more air in suit.
Solution 2: Moving tanks around, ankle weights, gaitors, etc.
Problem 3: Head up-attitude due to ankle weights (for example).
Solution 3: <etc.>

The solution is to solve the base (first) problem, not the tenth one.

Roak

I do have good quality undergarments, so I could use the bc and just keep enough air in the suit to keep the squeeze from making me a soprano. Thing is, it doesn't seem like I'm having to put an inordinate amount of air in the suit and I don't notice any gross air migration to my feet. Could be, though. I'll keep an open mind. This weekend I think I'll try the ankle weights on one dive and use the bc for compensation on the next. I do appreciate the advice.

roakey:
A proper undergarment will not compress and lose its insulating properties... Note I said "proper." Most people spend a bunch on the shell and then go cheap on the underarment, using sweats, etc. in some cases.

A proper boot-type thinsulite undergarment, for example, won't compress and will insulate you when you're shrink wrapped. I ice dive in my dry suit "shrink wrapped" and have no problmes.

This is yet another case of "cascading" problems that are so common among recreational divers:

Problem 1: Buying poor undergarments, so you're cold.
Solution 1: Put more air in suit.
Problem 2: Buoyancy problems due to more air in suit.
Solution 2: Moving tanks around, ankle weights, gaitors, etc.
Problem 3: Head up-attitude due to ankle weights (for example).
Solution 3: <etc.>

The solution is to solve the base (first) problem, not the tenth one.

Roak

I have been experimenting with a lot of different undergarments lately and I have tried a fair range of ideas. I have tried thinsulite and it has worked to a point. The biggest problem with the shirnk wrap idea, in my experience, is that it is just really uncomfortable. Especially once you get below say 80'. I feel like a freeze dried shrink wrapped hot dog or something. Surely this practice would interrupt blood flow to the extremities causing other unwanted problems not mention it makes it harder to move around.

In your picture it appears that you are wearing a tropical or "lighter" shelled suit. This may make a big difference. It seems as though it would be a good idea to go with a tropical suit even if you are ice diving. Afterall it is what you wear underneath that keeps you warm. The suit just keeps you dry. I have a tri-layer suit and it is really tough. It's sort of like a brand new carrhart coat, you know what I mean, it is really stiff and when it squeezes you it does so with a vengence.

Back
Top Bottom