Need a secure clamp to connect my helmet diving knife to my Dive Rite harness D Ring.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks like you have an old Desco type Navy Divers knife. Keep it ashore polish it up and place it on display. Those are really rare antiques now!

You can still buy these knives new. Morse Diving still makes them and are now selling a limited edition to mark their 175th year in business. They will only make 175 of these, one for each year they have been in business. Morse Diving, Inc. This year is also the 100th anniversary of the Mark-V helmet.

4e6apese.jpg

Trilobite line cutter should be the only tool anyone should need. From easy open water diving to cave diving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4e6apese.jpg

Trilobite line cutter should be the only tool anyone should need. From easy open water diving to cave diving.

That's not only wrong, it's potentially dangerous. I love my trilos, usually have two -- one on the SW straps, one on the belt. But they're no substitute for shears because they're utterly useless for stuff like wire leader.

My point was. The days of a huge macho knife strapped to your leg is long gone. Unless your a wreck diver, then a good stout pry bar is in order. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they're no substitute for shears because they're utterly useless for stuff like wire leader.
Besides, they're utterly useless for stabbing a flounder or a wolffish if you've forgotten (or didn't bother to pack) your sling.

I always dive with two knives: One BFK strapped to my calf and a small, cute one on my belt. The only times I've used them underwater has been when I've been harvesting (the BFK for stabbing, the small harness knive for cutting the fish's throat). Topside, they're OK for gutting fish, the BFK is great for cutting bread for sandwiches and the small one works well for peeling fruit.

A knife, for me, is a universal tool that should always be carried when I'm outdoors. Whether topside or underwater :cool2:

Oh, I didn't say I didn't carry knives, too :D They're even better than the trilos for tightly wrapped cord, though unlike the shears/wire thing you can usually make a trilobite serve well enough at that task.

I like a Folts minimalist tanto on my compass bungie and will bring a bigger knife like a Vulcan or a Frogman, too, if I plan on stabbing anything.

A knife, for me, is a universal tool that should always be carried when I'm outdoors. Whether topside or underwater :cool2:

What is your just-walkin'-around-town knife of choice?

What is your just-walkin'-around-town knife of choice?
I don't carry a knife around town, since that's generally not allowed around here. Besides, why should I? I can count on one hand the number of times I've been in need of a knife if I'm walking around town. I used to carry a small Swiss Army folder, but after forgetting to take it out of my pocket before flying a couple of times, I've found that it's cheaper and less hassle not to carry everyday.

the Norwegian Civil Penal code:
Section 352 a. Any person who wilfully or through gross negligence carries in a public place a knife or similar sharp instrument that may be used to inflict bodily injuries shall be liable to fines or imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both. Any person who aids and abets such an offence shall be liable to the same penalty. This prohibition shall not apply to a knife or other instrument that is used for or carried in connection with work, outdoor life or any other respectable purpose.
(emphasis mine, small non-locking pocket folders like a Swiss Army knife aren't considered to be able to inflict bodily injury, and traditional knives carried as part of a men's bunad are covered by the "other respectable purpose" clause)

However, I keep a smallish EKA Swede 38 folding knife and a Leatherman tool in my car. For outdoors use (excluding around town), I have more than half a dozen knives to choose between. The ones I use most often are a Fällkniven P1, a Fällkniven Wm1/3G, a Morakniv or one of the ones I've had hand-made according to the Norwegian "Tollekniv" tradition, I've got several with blades ranging from about 7cm/3" to 15-18cm/6-7". The ones I use most often have 10-12cm/4-5" blades. Blades longer than about 15cm/6" are usually unwieldy and not suitable for much more than cutting bread for sandwiches, IMO :cool2:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom