Need advice on San Diego area diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chebby

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

:14:

I'll be in San Diego area next week Apr(8,9,10) and would like to experience some local diving. Would anyone be interested in some midweek morning dives? I'm an experienced diver with own gear but need to know where to rent some tanks and where the cool shore dive spots are. Boat dives would be cool too, but they probbly don't run on weekdays?

I would also like some advice on inexpensive motels (or even campgrounds) where to stay.

thank you very much in advance,
Gene

I don't dive the shore in San Diego but you should have a lot of people giving you input. I recently dove a San Diego boat Waterhorse Charters (google website), they were good on the boat it was not a cattle boat. Not the best food.

Best shore dive in San Diego is The La Jolla Cove if the visibility is good. It is a shallow dive, less than 30 fsw, with kelp, garibaldi, lobster, crabs, and the occasional Giant Sea Bass. The Beach report (619) 221-8824 gives a relatively accurate dive report, but conditions can change rapidly. La Jolla shores is a deeper dive after a long swim out to the canyon, but the visibility is usually better there than anywhere else.
Divebums has links to the San Diego Dive Boats: Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website, Dive Connection has a trip to the Kelp Beds on the 9th, I don't know about the others.

Divebums also has descriptions of the dive sites: Divebums - A San Diego Dive Website

Viz has been ugly lately, but It could clear up by the time you get here. Good Luck

If I can get this cold beaten down I could be up to play hookey for a morning dive or two at LJ shores!

Oside Jimc, if your cold gets better, please send me a PM with your phone number, would be nice to have a local show me around. I'll buy you a beer aftewards too :wink:

Everyone else, thanks for great input, I found a wealth of info on site you posted.

Oh what's the diving flag regulation in SoCal? Like does every diver need one? or 1 for group is fine?

Oside Jimc, if your cold gets better, please send me a PM with your phone number, would be nice to have a local show me around. I'll buy you a beer aftewards too :wink:

Everyone else, thanks for great input, I found a wealth of info on site you posted.

Oh what's the diving flag regulation in SoCal? Like does every diver need one? or 1 for group is fine?

No one flies a flag. CA isn't MA (thank, God).

Another volunteer ready for hookey duty. [hand salute]
Chebby, PM sent.

Back
Top Bottom