Need advice on where to dive in FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

better hurry... owner was offered a couple million for it by bottled water company... probably wont be able to dive much longer.[/QUOTE]

Hey a buddy of mine talked to the owner a couple of weeks ago and the owner told him the he had changed his mind and wasn't going to sell the place. Out of all the springs I have done Paradise is my favorite. Followed by Blue Grotto. I haven't done Alexander but I would like to.

If you are planning on going out of the Stuart inlet, you wont find very good vis up there. The pecks Lake area has some big lobster, but season is closed now. I would reccomend running down the intracoastal to the Jupiter Inlet and head South out of the inlet. There is a great reef system there and if you ask around and get coordinates for the Juno Ledge, you'll have a good dive if conditions permit. It will be a drift dive, so bring a float.

John, I live in Central Fl area and based on your post, I'd recommend...
Alexander (max 24, lots of wild life)easy entry and exit, but have to carry your gear a ways from the parking lot to a picnic table;
Blue Springs in Orange City max ow = 60, lots of wildlife and a really cool drift dive, easy entry and exit, but a bit of a walk in gear(check out the thread in this forum); Paradise Springs in Ocala, the warmest spring I've been in, OW dive able with platforms, dive line, and lots and lots of fossils, also easy entry and exit:
then about 2 hours from where you will be staying is Devil's Den and Blue Grotto. Both dive sites I think your daughter will enjoy. I have dove (dived-ed:rofl3:) all of these and every one has things I like above the others. Each site is unique.
exactly what days are you planing on being here?
ox:

Fox:
\
We are planning on diving Tuesday afternoon. I have to go to Gainsville on Tuesday to meet one of my clients and then are going to find a place to dive. I'll have to check out Paradise. My thoughts at this point are either Blue Grotto or Crystal River (I was going to call on Monday to get a report). We might try Paradise if that offers a larger area to dive. Blue Grotto concerns me just a bit becuase of my daughter diving with me...caverns tend to make her nervous).

John

If you are planning on going out of the Stuart inlet, you wont find very good vis up there. The pecks Lake area has some big lobster, but season is closed now. I would reccomend running down the intracoastal to the Jupiter Inlet and head South out of the inlet. There is a great reef system there and if you ask around and get coordinates for the Juno Ledge, you'll have a good dive if conditions permit. It will be a drift dive, so bring a float.

My thoughts exactly.

ox:

Fox:
\
We are planning on diving Tuesday afternoon. I have to go to Gainsville on Tuesday to meet one of my clients and then are going to find a place to dive. I'll have to check out Paradise. My thoughts at this point are either Blue Grotto or Crystal River (I was going to call on Monday to get a report). We might try Paradise if that offers a larger area to dive. Blue Grotto concerns me just a bit because of my daughter diving with me...caverns tend to make her nervous).

John
Paradise will be much more closed in than BG. Sooooooooo, if your daughter doesn't like closed in dives, she probably won't like Paradise.
Ginnie is close to Gainsville, but the best part of it is the "Ballroom" a cavern available for OW divers.
Crystal River is a glorified snorkel but it is certainly a fun trip.
I'm booked up for the next 2 weeks except for a Thursday dive at Devil's Den.
My children are grown, so spend as much time with yours as possible, you only get on shot at each child.

I would suggest staying inland with your daughter. Seas are typically rougher this time of year and you would have to go south of Stuart a little ways to get good viz but you would be dealing with decent current and depths deeper than you want to do with your daughter. Let us know how the springs were if you go that route.

Wayne

Did not notice when I read OP that daughter was 13.

If you do want to get in the ocean and are willing to go to Palm Beach there is a nice little ledge off the Breakers Hotel. 30 ft to the sand and 22 ft to the top. Current is mild.
Don't know if you are towing the boat or would motor down.

I can give you Lat and Long if you like.

The Juno Ledge I would say is out. 85 footer usually with strong currents.

I would suggest staying inland with your daughter. Seas are typically rougher this time of year and you would have to go south of Stuart a little ways to get good viz but you would be dealing with decent current and depths deeper than you want to do with your daughter. Let us know how the springs were if you go that route.

Wayne

Hey all:

We ended up diving Blue Grotto. The wind and wave conditions were just too rough to chance it out of Stuart (we normally dive in the Pecks Lake area for lobster). Anyway, decided that we would try Blue Grotto because it was relatively close to my appointment earlier in the day.

We arrived at the site at about 12:30. We waited until a bit later because the morning was cold (temps in the 40's...cold for Florida). When we got there, there were 4-5 other groups, including a small group doing OW test/training dives. I was worred they would stir up the silt, but the water was nice and clear. There were at least 10 people there besides us, which I figured would be crowded, but it worked out where we sort of dove in shifts. We ended up getting in the water about 1:30 and just had a few nice liesurely dives...none longer than 15 minutes...really spent the time working on getting my weight right. Going from salt water to fresh water, I was able to lighten up quite a bit. Once I got it right, it was a nice dive.

We dove to peace rock (but couldn't find the peace sign) and tried out the diving bell (kind of neat). I was disappointed that so many people felt compelled to carve their names and initials in the limestone wall leading to the cavern. Leave it as you found it is my motto.

I was impressed with my daugher (spoken like a true father). She really controlled her boyancy well and enjoyed the heck out of the dives. Water temp was 70 (air temp was 65, but sunny). We did not go down the chute to the deeper part of the cavern, but that was OK...I was more converned about my daughters comfort level than getting deep.

Saw a lot of minnows and a couple of blue gill (?), cat fish and the resident turtle. All in all, it was a really nice relaxing day.

By the way, the facility was nice...hot water in the showers, place to change, picnic area, etc. While you can get bored with the dive rather quickly, it would still be a nice place to spend a few hours, cook out and get wet.

John

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom