Need BCD advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeddah Aquanaut

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
:flag: Greetings once again from the Magic Kingdom. I'm thinking of buying a new BCD, and one of the shops here has a Scubra Pro (I have the name here somewhere...oh well), one which in lieu of the standard low pressure inflator hose, has the inflator button built into the side of the BCD. Dumping is just done with the dump valves. For oral inflation, there is a small hose which tucks under the BC. I would like to know if any of you all out there either have this type of BC or know of it, and any pros/cons. My thinking is that along with a computer with remote sensor on the 1st stage, I could do away entirely with hoses on the left side. Thanks for any help...

Jeddah Aquanaut:
:flag: Greetings once again from the Magic Kingdom. I'm thinking of buying a new BCD, and one of the shops here has a Scubra Pro (I have the name here somewhere...oh well), one which in lieu of the standard low pressure inflator hose, has the inflator button built into the side of the BCD. Dumping is just done with the dump valves. For oral inflation, there is a small hose which tucks under the BC. I would like to know if any of you all out there either have this type of BC or know of it, and any pros/cons. My thinking is that along with a computer with remote sensor on the 1st stage, I could do away entirely with hoses on the left side. Thanks for any help...
Try this:

http://64.78.59.144/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TDGWS&Product_Code=BCD-LIBRA

Jeddah Aquanaut:

That would be the classic air from scuba pro... Very nice jacket - life time seam warranty, etc. Yes, if you want to eliminate hoses, you can lose the ones on the left with this setup - but then you'll have a primary and octo on the right. The other option is do the same BC - the Classic - with an octo inflator, so then you only have the inflator hose and the primary. This might even be more streamline for you - just 2 hoses coming out of your first stage.

When you decide to get one - shoot me an email or pm me here. I can't ship Scubapro in the States due to warranty rules - but we can ship overseas with full warranty.

scubatoys:
That would be the classic air from scuba pro... Very nice jacket - life time seam warranty, etc. Yes, if you want to eliminate hoses, you can lose the ones on the left with this setup - but then you'll have a primary and octo on the right. The other option is do the same BC - the Classic - with an octo inflator, so then you only have the inflator hose and the primary. This might even be more streamline for you - just 2 hoses coming out of your first stage.

When you decide to get one - shoot me an email or pm me here. I can't ship Scubapro in the States due to warranty rules - but we can ship overseas with full warranty.

Thanks, I will definitely chew on that one. If I do that, what do I do with the BCD power inflator button on the BCD itself? Just leave the cap on it? With the arrangement you mention, I assume water will not in any way get into the BCD air attachment point, right? Also, does the octo inflator create drag itself, since it's the same size as a normal octo?

Jeddah Aquanaut:
... I could do away entirely with hoses on the left side...
Your not doing away with any hose!!! The only difference is that you now inflate your BC by pushing a button on your hip instead of a button on your shoulder.

Make sure to try the jacket. It is very well manufactured, but very stiff and to me it feels like an armor.

I own a Mares Morphos Twin, and i'm very satisfied with it.
- Oral inflation through a little hose stored in the left pocket of the jacket when you don't need it
- one single "console" (lets call it like that) on the left hip does inflation AND deflation: the upper switch inflates, the lower - yellow - switch deflates.
- air can also be dumped by pulling strings on valves as you're used to do
- and it has an integrated weight system

it's an excellent BCD, very colmfortable too. I'll recommend it to anyone.
Paddyfrog

Paddyfrog:
I own a Mares Morphos Twin, and i'm very satisfied with it.
- Oral inflation through a little hose stored in the left pocket of the jacket when you don't need it
- one single "console" (lets call it like that) on the left hip does inflation AND deflation: the upper switch inflates, the lower - yellow - switch deflates.
- air can also be dumped by pulling strings on valves as you're used to do
- and it has an integrated weight system

it's an excellent BCD, very colmfortable too. I'll recommend it to anyone.
Paddyfrog

Thanks. Since I first posed my question, I've been mulling over in my mind if I don't actually want a back inflation type BCD. Mares has a very nice looking one--Jubilee MRS. However, they've also got a jacket style one with the inflation system you mentioned. I read rgo's thread about this very issue and am even more confused now as to which BC to get...Like going down the breakfast cereal aisle in the supermarket...so much choice. :06:

Since these systems are relatively new, not everyone has seen them. Make sure that you let your buddy know how it works in case of an emergency. Not a bad idea in any case.

You may want to try the Scubapro Classic with an AIR2. Your way of thinking would not eliminate the hose only the oral inflator. You would still need an octopus on the right. With the AIR 2 you have an octopus and inflator in one. I have used the Scubapro Stabilizing jacket for many years and I find it the best for my needs as the buoyancy bubble moves, it is not trapped like in front adjustable BCDs. Although the oral inflator is not used that often it is nice to know its there if you need it. Good luck...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom