Need help choosing a reg.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HOG regs if you are on a budget are a fantastic deal.

I dive an Atomic B2 but their entire line is considered one of the best reg lines available price aside. BTW, not saying Atomic is THE best since that would likely start a riot but I would bet there are several on here that would make that claim in private.

The hog d1 cold water regulator looks awesome, and it's at least 1 to 2 hundred dollars cheaper than the mares one. Why not go with hog? They look well built. Any disadvantages?

Edit: Also, i have a question. what does the predive venturi adjustment lever do?

Woops, accidentally put this in the quick reply box instead of the edit box.

no disadvantages unless you're in Europe and want CE ratings, but you're in CA, so who cares. Care about branding, you have HOG instead of Apeks DST or Scubapro MK25 depending on which first stage, again, who cares, not I.

Advantages, they run their own cert for service, and provide parts at wicked cheap prices through dealers, so no ridiculous markup.

Venturi helps prevent freeflows sort of. It basically puts a shield in front of the window in the reg so deflect the air. I never use mine...

I own (and service) two MR22 Abyss regs. They are good, solid, established, "workhorse" regulators. The first stage is a balanced diaphragm, 2nd is an unbalanced, classic downstream design, without external adjuster knobs. The lack of external adjustments puts some people off, but the Abyss 2nd is a VERY good reg. If properly tuned by the tech at time of service, it will breath as well (or better) than regs costing 2-3x's as much. $450 is a decent price for this reg.

This! I have the MR22 Abyss as well and absolutely love it. I spent a lot of time deciding and almost didn't buy it in favor of a scubapro adjustable that was actually a little cheaper. After really thinking about it a while, I had never dove with an adjustable and never felt I needed to adjust a reg while under so I decided to go for the mares. I think it is a great cold water reg, and if you need to go even colder than CA cold they do make an optional dry kit that you can buy for $100 + installation cost at your LDS or wherever.

Of course, everyone has an opinion!

IMO: the best multi purpose regulator available for worldwide support is the Aqualung Titan LX Supreme ACD.

It's forgiving for new divers with the ACD (Auto Closure Device) sealing off the first stage when its not on a tank.

Its a sealed Diaphragm design, good for cold water.

The second stage is virtually identical to the much more expensive Legend, and can be upgraded to add the ventury adjustment for about 50$ later on.

If needed it can be service worldwide, as Aqualung is a global company.

and the price is good, you can pick one up for $350-$500 depending on where you buy it.

HOG regs if you are on a budget are a fantastic deal.

I dive an Atomic B2 but their entire line is considered one of the best reg lines available price aside. BTW, not saying Atomic is THE best since that would likely start a riot but I would bet there are several on here that would make that claim in private.

I have owned virtually the entire spectrum and can say the OP would never, ever regret purchasing Atomic. My ST1 is superb in every respect. I am very enamored that they are designed and manufactured to only require servicing every 300 dives or every two years. Many of the other major brands are purposely designed to generate LDS revenue IMO...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom