need help deciding - fiji or philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divenski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We're hoping to go in May - so had better come to a decision - but there is sooo much information out there - can you help?

Options are: Philippines, 6 days diving Puerto Galera, 4 days Dumaguete,
or
Fiji - 5 days each, Matava/Kadavu and Waidroka at Beqa Lagoon.

Interested in: healthy reefs, lots of diversity, not toooo much current, calmer seas. Would like to see big stuff if possible, but especially interested in taking time to really look/see the critters and the corals.

Have 90+ dives, mostly Caribbean, where I think the reefs are in pretty bad shape (Coz, Roatan esp - algae....).

Any thoughts on these two places related to what I'm looking for - would be much appreciated. I'm stuck and need to make a decision very soon!

....not toooo much current.....

Then you might want to pass on the Philippines thing.

Overall, I wish I had your problems, however.

Let's face facts here. The Caribbean is our $1500 a week backyard playground. If you have the time and money- there's a whole big world out there betyond.

Divenski- In answer to a question you did not ask... the prices for the Philippines venture should be substantially lower overall than Fiji. If you liked the set-up you experienced in Roatan, you'll find the Hotel Atlantis http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/Doc_Adelman/Philippines Hotel Atlantis Pto Galera/ (Known as Puerto Galera, but actually on Sabang Beach) and it's in-house dive operation on a perfectly equal footing. If the option offered is in Pto Galera proper- take a pass- Sabang is where to go, no doubt.

Your avoidance of currents is understandable, but that would be a skill you would do well to approach a DM and get mastered. I can think of no better place than the Philippines. It is truly the e-ticket ride of the South Pacific.

Critters? Have a look: http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/Doc_Adelman/Odd Shaped Bottom Dwellers/ and http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/Doc_Adelman/Philippines 2 Puerto Galera/

Last edited by a moderator:
We are trying to decide the same thing for 2011 trip. We want to go to both. I think we are leaning towards Fiji right now.

As far as people not being blown away by Pacific diving - we had one guy on our Palau liveaboard, yeah Palau, who didn't like the diving - too much current, too deep, too many sharks. WTF did he expect???:rofl3::idk::crazyeye:
Anyhow, he had been diving for over 20 years, mostly Bonaire, said he would rather be there. He also didn't get the "safety stop" thing, shot right to surface every dive even though we all tried to explain it to him. And he didn't do nitrox as he thought it was a gimmick to get more money out of you. He even complained about the wine selection on the liveaboard! sheesh!

robin

We think it would be hard to go wrong with either choice, both offer exceptional diving so you may want to look at it this wasy.
1. Your money will go farther in the Philippines if that is a consideration.

2. Both will have some current at some point of your diving.

3. You will find better critter diving in Philippines and though it does have some very nice corals Fiji is probably even better and does offer more opportunity for the big stuff like sharks.

4. The Philippines are very nice, but the south pacific beauty of Fiji is hard to beat!

5. If we were to make one suggestion it would be to look at diving Fiji via a live-a-board as you would truly see and dive the very best dive sites that way. We recommend the Naia very highly and it is one of the great live-a-board trips you will do. Yhey have great guides and will pay special attention to you if you request on the dives.

These are the kind of decisions that make life fun:)

I prefer Puerta Galera without a doubt. The wreck right off shore from Hotel Atlantis makes for a great morning, noon, or night dive, free of charge in shore diving. Treat yourself to the PI, the dollar goes further and the Hotel Atlantis and its Dive Ops is top knotch, can't beat the food either. :wink:

Enjoy and dive safe.

thanks to all who offered honest comment and helpful insight. I really appreciate it.

As for being put down as a result of my post - I would suggest that those who look to criticize others for their perspective should find better, more productive, and nicer things to do.

I have a master's degree in wildlife biology and AM sensitive to reef health and human impacts to natural systems. I DON'T appreciate being put down - this is supposed to be a friendly, helpful community.

Re. drift diving - I can do it - I just prefer to look closely and check things out for longer than perhaps some - so it's frustrating to me to go flying by things.

We all have our preferences and perspectives, and I would encourage others to respect those.

Thanks again to all the helpful folks!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been reopened. Please remember that personal attacks and name calling are against the TOS and repeat violators may lose their posting privaledge in this thread.

Last edited:
My wife and I visited Fiji in 2008. Garden Island was a blast with some great diving and people. Bega Lagoon was in our opinion a complete waste of our time and money..... We have no desire to ever return to that resort again. The management was very unresponsive to our requests and questions. No, we did not visit with a large group, therefore the two of us felt like the forgotten bunch as did two other Australian couples we met. When we had to take our own dive gear to the dive operation and the Dive-master looked at us and per his words "Who are you and when did you get here", they lost several items in equipment transfers, etc. I will stop there.....

As you probably figured out, we do not recommend Bega Lagoon and that is solely from personal experience. Just our 2c.....

I have only been to Fiji, Philippines is on my todo list. We dove out of the garden island resort in the Somosomo strait (sp?). Have to warn you we experienced terrific current on several dives! It was worth it however:D. Our group included 5 divemasters and 3 instructors along with my wife and myself. On surfacing from one dive everyone was grousing and calling it teh "dive from hell" due to the extremely powerfull current. My wife and I had hooked up with the dovemaster (I had asked him to take special care of her as it was her 3rd dive trip so he literally held her hand the whole dive while I lurked nearby). The 3 of us were the last divers down so when I signaled to the divemaster I was low on air he waived bye to me so away I went. Just let go of the rock and whoosh, I was tumbling toward the boat. It was a blast. I climbed aboard and heard all the experienced divers complaining. A moment later my wife and the divemaster surfaced and she said with a huge grin, "That was awesom". Group immediately stoppped whining. My point is that there is plenty of current in some of the best places in Fiji, that is why the soft corals are so spectacular.

Wow, what a choice, Fiji or the Philippines. I think you win the lottery or you win the lottery. I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying, either choice sounds fabulous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom