Need help to choose housing for a Nikon D200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danishDiver:
Hi Fota

Thanks for the tips, i'll remember that :)

Please post some pictures :)

See ya

Hi,

OK here's a link to my first album created with the new D-SLR system. It's fish portraits. Soon I'll create an album from the same trip with different type of pictures.
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=2295

I hope the link works, it's supposted to link to my:
Hurghada March 2007 - Fish Portraits album.

Please comment!!!

/Fota

Great Pictures.
I really like DSC6927_4, great focus on the head.
In general exposure and focus seems to be spot on.
Where's the nest trip?

Hello danishdiver,

I owned an Ikelite housing,for a C8080,and I never had a problem with it,until I decided to clean the metal bolts holding the flash bracket,at the bottom,and I cracked the moulding overtightening the two nuts holding it. Anyway,my fault,not the manifacturer. As for your question, there is a site called 'digideep.com' that lists all sorts of housings for each single camera(or most of them),which I found very useful,but in any case comparing the Ikelite housing to the more expensive ones, I'd suggest you think of what use you're going to do with it. Aluminum cases are more rugged,and more expensive,and in my opinion they are better suited for professional use. Surely they can last a lifetime,but one little disadvantage they have to the transparent material housings is that you cannot see water leaks(until it's too late!).
I also own two Ikelite strobes(DS50 + DS125),and for my photography I found the DS125 way too powerful(and heavy);yet for macro purposes(and playing with the power switch), it may be ideal. As for prices, I've noticed that housings,in general, are in line with camera costs: the higher the camera cost,and the more you pay for the housing. Last,but not least, where to purchase: if I'm not mistaken Denmark is one of the EU country where custom duties are heaviest? Should you be able to avoid paying taxes importing from the States,I'd suggest you look in the net for a good buy,otherwise you can expect a difference of 20% + from those prices: as a reference you can try 'adorama.com',where Ikelite housings sell at least 100$ less than from the manufacturer itself.
Hope you find the info useful. I have a question for you,though: you're mentioning a PT023,Olympus housing for your camera. Is this the same PT023 housing,also suitable for the C8080,Olympus?

Regards,
guglioq8

Hi Guglioq8

Thanks for the info :)

Yes denmark has a huge tax, we pay 25% VAT on EVERYTHING !

I ended up buying a Ikelite housing + DS125 from germany where the VAT is 'only' 19% :)

Sorry the housing for my Olympus 7070 is a PT-027 and not the PT-023, always remember the wrong one for some strange reason :)

Trust me someday i will go for an aluminium housing, just need some money first :)

See ya

Hy, Danishdiver!
If you go for an aluminium housing, just go for some money more and you'll get Aquatica's new viewfinder! Seems to be great, but, waw, it's expensive!
Yesterady I was reading an article at Wetpixel around the D200 housing and maybe it's interesting for you:
http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/judas-returns-nikon-to-canon-and-back-again/
Good luck!
Jordi
PS: Not possible to get some money for me also? Would also like to change to an alu-housing.... :(

Aquatica is shipping those viewfinders as fast as they can put them together. I ordered mine back in at the beginning of February and should be here mid April. Seems to be in good demand.

Hidroj:
Hy, Danishdiver!
If you go for an aluminium housing, just go for some money more and you'll get Aquatica's new viewfinder! Seems to be great, but, waw, it's expensive!
Yesterady I was reading an article at Wetpixel around the D200 housing and maybe it's interesting for you:
http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/judas-returns-nikon-to-canon-and-back-again/
Good luck!
Jordi
PS: Not possible to get some money for me also? Would also like to change to an alu-housing.... :(

Hi Hidroj

Trust me, i would love to have an alu housing instead of my Ikelite. But for now i'll stick to the Ikelite housing, and just not take it with me when going to do deep technical dives.

The Aquatica viewfinder looks GREAT.

I'll remember you if i find some money :)

See ya

Fota:
...Autofocused worked extremely well except on one occation. We were snorkeling with doplhins and I got 2-3 seconds to make one shot (a nice one) on dolphins some meters away (actually several meters below me), but the AF refused to find something as I as had set it to "don't take a picure unless it's sharp" I got no shots of the dolphins. :(..

/Fota

To help with your fast moving dolphin issue, you might try switching your focus mode on the front of the D200 from S to C mode. The C continuous mode will track a moving object and you can have different shutter release priority than the S single servo mode which you have set to not release the shutter unless focus is achived. The Ikelite housing has the control arm for the focus control knob on the front of the camera. Switch back to S mode for stills and slow fish.

I have been following your thread and appreciate the information. I just recently sold my C-8080 rig and am looking at the Ikelite setup. I have been shooting my Nikons topside for a while but have yet to take one swimming. Keep the information coming, your pics are looking good.

Jeff

wow. havent been here for awhile " You last visited: September 30th, 2005 "

Hugyfot D200 with W/A Dome for Tokina 10-17 (no strobe config for snorkeling)

1hug.jpg

I have the Hugyfot D200 and there is a big difference on control "feel" from the Ikelite Housing (I had one.) The Hugy fits the camera like a glove, making control precise. It does not guarantee better pictures, but it makes it easier getting there.

Often times in the Ikelite I have to LOOK at the control I am trying to get to. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Ikelite products and would recommend them to anyone wanting to try underwater photography. I had Ikelite for the Nikon 5700, 8400, D70, D200.

I bought a D-200 because I think it's the best camera for the money.

When I first started shopping for housings, I covered the full spectrum, from the Ikelite to Subal and Seacam. I finally found a happy medium with the Sea and Sea housing. So far..., I'm very pleased, and being a commercial pilot, I can say with qualification that it travels very well.

I have been shooting wide angle with the D-200 so far, but will be puchasing a VR 105 macro soon. I have several very experienced friends that shoot UW with it and are extremely happy with the results. Evidently, it allows you to get shots of very small and easily frightend subjects without chasing them away. You have to get very close with the 60mm macro.

Strobes: I shoot manual at the moment with twin SB-105's. Take your time and ask lots of questions as there's sooo much on the market.

Held og lykke!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom