need help with diagnosing ys-110a strobe issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuggler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I did 8 dives in Key Largo over the weekend and my strobe was fine until the 7th dive. Someone pointed to me that it was rapidly firing nonstop. So I turned it off, waited for about 10 minutes and turned it back on. It fired once or twice and then started rapidly firing again. At that point I figured I should just keep it off because I probably flooded it.

It's been 2 days since I last used it. Figured I should do some tests. As soon as I turn it on, (under all setting combination), it starts firing nonstop. It's more like a flicker than a real flash, actually. I'm looking at the battery contact thingies and they're not rusty or anything. What the heck is wrong with my strobe?!! :( Please, suggestions, anyone! I put a moisture muncher inside and I'm going to test it again tomorrow. I'm also going to talk to Backscatter (I live in the SF bay area and they're the nearest place that can take a look at it).

Has anyone else experienced the same problem? I'm so bummed and anxious because we're going to Bonaire in 3 weeks. I might end up buying a new strobe if this one's irreparable. :(

Hi fuggler, I own two of those strobes but I am not familiar with the problem. I would suggest that you post your problem in the Sea&Sea manufacturer's sub-forum: Sea&Sea - ScubaBoard. My experience is that the reps review this site frequently and respond to all posts.

Good Luck

Bill

I've never owned the YS 110a but I do have a YS 17 which I've knocked around for a while and it does a very similar thing when the batteries are low. Have you checked / replaced yours?

Thanks, Bill. I'll call sea & sea today as well.

Jay - I replaced them with newly charged ones and it's still doing it. I'll try a different set later.

If it is not a battery issue, then, sadly, the most likely issue is that the electronic trigger has shorted and the unit is in non-stop firing mode. Have not seen that in their strobes, but have seen it in slave strobes before. It may have to take a trip to visit the repair people.

If it is not a battery issue, then, sadly, the most likely issue is that the electronic trigger has shorted and the unit is in non-stop firing mode. Have not seen that in their strobes, but have seen it in slave strobes before. It may have to take a trip to visit the repair people.

Just tested it with completely different and newly charged batteries. Started firing like crazy again after a few seconds. I'm sending it to Sea & Sea tomorrow. Gonna have to bite the bullet and buy a second strobe. :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom