Need help with horizontal trim, out of ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Peter_C: I definitely am planning on taking fundies here in the near future. My drysuit is coming in as I just ordered it from DIRS. 1hr at 50ft is pushing my limits of cold tolerance and at that point I'm more busy worrying about how cold I am than what I'm looking at!

@BabyDuck: Definitely feet heavy. I tried the freeze position thing the last 2-3 dives I was out and indeed rotating to feet down position even with empty lungs.

@Bossman: Yeah next few dives I'm going to try to trim out a little bit more weight. I previously was trimming weight but got to the point where it was "good enough" and didnt try to go lower. Now good enough... isn't good enough, haha.

@Jax: I like that idea. I'll see if I can find someone to do that with me. As for the Scubapro Jet Sport fins, these aren't the rigid ones that everyone else has. These are soft blade fins that are super buoyant.
Like this: Scubapro Jet Sport. Fins Open heel, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive

I'm headed back out again next weekend so I'll update everyone with my results and hopefully video of my diving form!

What brand/year HP100 are you diving? It could be the cylinder.

@Peter_C: I definitely am planning on taking fundies here in the near future. My drysuit is coming in as I just ordered it from DIRS. 1hr at 50ft is pushing my limits of cold tolerance and at that point I'm more busy worrying about how cold I am than what I'm looking at!
You are going to have the warm fuzzies going on in your new drysuit :) If you are still a little foot heavy, go head down and move a little of the bubble into your feet. You should then trim right out. Anything minor can just be adjusted by where your feet are past that.

Without going into too many dives once dry, I would recommend taking Don's Essentials class if you plan to stay in singles for a little while. Fundies is best taken in doubles with a can light. Don will help you get the basics of trim and setup down, so the switch to doubles and light signals will come easily, instead of struggling with just holding steady in trim, though out the water column.

What brand/year HP100 are you diving? It could be the cylinder.

I'm not sure which HP100 I was diving previously as they were rented, they were probably either Worthingtons or PSTs I think since they were galvanized on the exterior. However I just bought an X7-100 and X7-120 from someone and will be trying those out over the next few weeks as well to see which one trims out better.

I believe from what I've read that Faber's tend to be a bit bottom heavy due to a thicker bottom wall, but I can't remember how Worthingtons and PSTs compare.

I am also not a fan of 8.25" tanks as I feel really back heavy with them on. Atleast thats how I felt with Faber LP95's.

@Peter_C: I'll talk to Don about that :)

I want to get a few dives in with the drysuit first though. Hopefully the learning curve for a Fusion is smaller than the other ones because my previous experience with a drysuit was a disaster (ill fitting)

Fabers are bottom light. It's the Worthingtons that are a little heavier on the bottom. There is also another cylinder brand - ASAHI. They are very bottom heavy and will affect trim adversely. How tall are you? Shorter cylinders may work better for you. Faber 95s are only 2 lbs heavier than Worthington 85s when full. They will allow you to remove a couple pounds from your waist and up where the weight should be.

lenaxia.-Being a lazy sod I'm not reading back. How HIGH are you carrying your tank. I shifted mine up a whole 4 inches in the band.Basicly I lifted it up untill my head touched the valve then backed it down about 1/2 inch.-That helped me heaps.

@Dive-a-Holic and Kazbanz: I'm 6'4" and 220lbs with an athletic build. For the sake of experimenting, I've tried the tank as high as it will go (bottom cam band all the way at the tank boot) and still was feet heavy.

Well, I've got a sure fire fix . . . slap on a set of double 95s! I can guarantee you you won't be FEET heavy :)

It is not that 8.25" are getting you feet heavy, it is longer tanks that do that. You might benefit from shorter, wider tanks.

I seem to trim well in doubles on HP119 (and have air to spare after diving :)

@Dive-a-Holic and Kazbanz: I'm 6'4" and 220lbs with an athletic build. For the sake of experimenting, I've tried the tank as high as it will go (bottom cam band all the way at the tank boot) and still was feet heavy.

In that case, a Faber 95 (even though you stated you don't like that cylinder) will be your best cylinder to get your feet up. You need to get weight off you waist. You may also want to try a steel backplate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom