Need help with horizontal trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea, I have difficulty with back kicks in the jets. I can do a couple, but I will silt up the place like crazy in the process. It's not exactly the most elegant back kick.

I feel like an idiot going to the Mares Quattros since I couldn't decide between those and the Apollo BIofins when I first started (ended up getting the Biofins). :|

I believe Jets are just over 3 pounds dry. Mares Quattros are just over 2 pounds. I know Mares Xstreams are positive in the water, but trying to do a back kick in them is difficult
I weighed mine at 3kg. They never leave NZ now...

Quattros are my favourite fins.. nothing else fits me as good as they do. I have tried just about every "tech" fin as well but the F1's are the only ones that fit as well and they weigh a ton. The Hog Tech 2's are sort of inbetween (I have them too). OMS slipstreams are another lightweight Jet clone if you can find some.

Can you post any photos?

Trim begins with posture. Head up, back flat, buttocks lifting the knees. If you have all that in order, then look at static weighting. Jets ARE heavy; usually you can make up for that by bending the knees more to shorten the lever arm through which they work. I am a little suspicious of the 40lb wing with the single Al80 and no weight, and I wonder where in the wing the tiny amount of air you need is ending up. A video might help us assist you.

Can you post any photos?

Trim begins with posture. Head up, back flat, buttocks lifting the knees. If you have all that in order, then look at static weighting. Jets ARE heavy; usually you can make up for that by bending the knees more to shorten the lever arm through which they work. I am a little suspicious of the 40lb wing with the single Al80 and no weight, and I wonder where in the wing the tiny amount of air you need is ending up. A video might help us assist you.

Yea, I ended up with the 40# wing because I really wanted to get rid of my Dive Rite Rec Wing which was awful for single tank diving. I'll try to get my buddy to video me next dive.

So the problem I have with bending my knees is that I constantly try to do it, but I can't seem to get them to 90* or maybe I am, but I just don't realize it.

I will try to get my hands on some lighter fins then, hopefully some of the Mares.

Yea, I ended up with the 40# wing because I really wanted to get rid of my Dive Rite Rec Wing which was awful for single tank diving. I'll try to get my buddy to video me next dive.

So the problem I have with bending my knees is that I constantly try to do it, but I can't seem to get them to 90* or maybe I am, but I just don't realize it.

I will try to get my hands on some lighter fins then, hopefully some of the Mares.

Good Trim doesn't mean that your knees are bent at 90deg. Good trim means that your shoulders and knees are at the same depth with your waistband being slightly lower. You use your lower legs to balance, moving nearer or further from the body.
Like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5wliityRuU

HTH
John

Ah, okay. I've always been told the knees should be 90*.

For those with the Mares Avanti Quattro, did any of you guys get the + version with the built in bungee straps? If so, did you guys have problems with them coming undone? That seems to be an issue that I'm coming across in my research.

I have been using Mares fins for well over 15 years.
Full foot Quattro's.
Volo Race.
Good ol "step-in" Quattro's
Different models, but they all seem to work for me.
I currently am using Mares Excel Metal fins.
They are awesome fins for me primarily, because I did not pay for them.
I have tried MANY different fins, but I am a solid Mares fin fan and for what it is worth,
my trim has never been better than right now.
I attribute it to a Dive Rite Transpac BC, and using HP 149's and LP 120 tanks.
As far as fin straps go, spring straps are good.
And I have had no real issues with bungee style straps.

Chug
Fin collector of sorts.

Scubapro Jets :p

What fins are lighter than the Jets? I thought most of the paddle fins are heavier than the Jets.

Hollis F1 - like a brick
Dive Rite EXP - my ankles are pretty weak, in PT for them, I don't think these will work for me with their stiffness
Turtles - you need drysuit boots for these right? because of the massive foot pocket? (I wear size 9 boots)

By buoyancy, I mean that I tend to have my BC underinflated every now and then. During safety stop, I can maintain depth pretty easily, but when I'm going up and down in the cavern, my buoyancy is mediocre.

If you switch to the dive rite EXP's, your trim problem will disappear.

I have 2 sets of fins the hollis F1 (jet fin knock off) and the dive rite EXP. When diving single tank and wet i have to use the EXP to get a nice Horizontal trim as my F1s are to heavey.

If you actually think the EXP are too stiff then you are swimming too hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sounds good. Fins will be my second option.

I am moving the wing+straps up one slot on my backplate now which should hopefully resolve the situation (and cheaper).

Back
Top Bottom