Need help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK guys. I need help and I need it now! I'm writing to you from the Grand Princess. We have been diverted from going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel to St. Thomas and St. Maarten.
I need information on diving Saba from St. Maarten. I need someone who has been there and dove it before. I need to have it set up for this Thursday for 5 divers. Can anyone help?
Don't you hate hurricanes?

That really sucks Natasha. I'm sorry I don't have any advice to give on the other diving, but I'm wondering if you can share any details you've found out about the Hurricane(s) in the area as I'm flying down to the Caymans later this week.
I heard today that the danger from Iris is essentially over, but that Jerry could still be a problem. Is one of them in between your cruise ship and the Caymans, or are they saying that the islands will be hit and you shouldn't go there? Please share when you can.

Thanks and good luck finding safe diving!

Rick

Natasha,

Here are the two most convenient dive shops for St. Thomas and Saba.

St. Thomas: Blue Island divers: Ph=340-774-2001. Web site: http://www.blueislanddivers.com . They are on the west end of the island in the Crown Bay Marina. They have a boat that will hold 8 divers, I think. If you need more room, they do AM and PM dives. Marion runs the shop and Jim and "H" do the diving. Tell them Joe Rosenthal sent you and you might get a really nice welcome!

Chris Sawyer has a good shop, too, but he is on the east end of the island, too far from Charlotte Amalie.

Do not, I repeat, do not use Underwater Safaris. UWS has real cattleboats with 20+ divers!

For Saba: Saba Deep. Web site: http://www.sabadeep.com . They are right at the dock on Saba. You take the ferry across from St. Maarten, disembark and walk about 100 yards to the dive shop. They have two boats and can handle about 12 souls, I think. Mike runs the shop and Big Mike and Andrew do the diving. A great crew. Tell them Joe Rosenthal sent you and ditto above.

I hope this helps! And my consulting fee is relatively small!

Joewr

Gearhead,

Look at the thread in this section that I posted a few days ago: Hurricane warnings and travel planning. You can get regular updates on both the sites I mentioned there. There are predictions as well, but you know how reliable weather predictions are!

Joewr

You are the man!!...You are really a good one to have around. I used the links you posted for watching Chantal before my trip so much, they were like screensavers on my screen...and now you come to Natasha's rescue.. Joewr pulls through again!!..

Why, thank you young man! Where do I send the check? (Of course, it will have to wait until I get my raise after I show your post to the management!)

Joewr...still blushing!

Joe,
Yep, you're the man! I emailed Saba, hopefully they will reply in time. Thanks JOE! I owe you!
It's the second hurricane Jerry that is a threat to Grand Cayman. The Captain of this ship will not take any chances so we were re routed. Big Bummer! I wanted to go to Cayman so much. I had it all set up with Casey. But this just means we'll have to come back!
Thanks again everyone. Look for my report next week.
:sunny:

Natasha,

You are very welcome! I hope that all comes out well!

Joe

Well, I'm back.
Sadly this was not much of a dive vacation. We made the best of the last minute change to the Eastern Caribbean. But I really had all the dives pre planned in the Western Caribbean.
We ended up with a dive in St Thomas. BlueIsland divers were fully booked so they passed me on to Barefoot Divers.
Barefoot just opened their dive shop this January. Brand new boat. Great people. They say they are the only ones on the island that go up to 18 knots with their boat. Because of this, we were able to cross over into the Atlantic Ocean to dive. We did the "Blue Hole". Very nice dive. The reef was in good condition and we saw quite a few trumpets, a spotted eel, and your usual assortment of coral.
Sadly this was the only dive we got in on the trip. I was not able to hook up with Saba in time for a dive.
But, alas, I have three more trips coming up in the next 3 months, so diving is in the near future.
Thanks again Joe. You were instrumental in helping with the one dive we did get in!

:sunny:

Natasha,

I guess one dive is better than none...Sorry that things got a little out of hand, but welcome back...

Joewr

Back
Top Bottom