Need info on diving in Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwm1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello
I found this site today. Im a new diver who is just finishing up my open water dives, later this month I will be going to Oahu and I want to do a dive, anyone have any recommendations or info? I will be staying at Turtle Bay resort which is on the North Shore but Ill have a rental car so I can go pretty much anywhere but some where close would be nice.

Thanks

Doug

I just got back from 10 days in Waikiki and I suggest you DO NOT use Waikiki Dive Center with Capt Nick Fidelibus. (He stayed at the dive shop and I went with his employees to the dive boat)
I signed up for a dive three days in advance of the dive date to do the corsair (110' or so), and when I got to the dive shop, they decided not to dive it cause the weather had the waves a little rough, (although I didn't think so at the time). So what do they do for the 2 tank boat dive... we go right over the airplane location and dive a reef about 300-500 yards further out for 40 minutes of bottom time. then we load back up and go the bay nearby to look over a few turtles. Not once did I get close to the wreck. Oh, did I tell you that on the way to the dive boat, in the beat-up crappy van that goes around picking up the divers that are going that day, that we stopped at a gas station to fill up 2- 5 gal gas cans with diesel fuel and put them between us on the floor of the van? Oh, did I mention the diesele exhaust was almost unbearable and if it weren't for the 15 mph wind blowing I'd of chunked over the side?
You're at turtle bay resort huh? You can dive from the shore and have a great time.

db

I have no patience for the deathmobile vehicles, myself.

A lot of the operators here drive around in overloaded vans, no insurance, etc.

I lived in Waikiki many years ago and used to work for a store in the Koko Marina. They were called Aloha Dive. I'm not sure if they are even there anymore, but it's worth a try to check. They had an ideal location with a boat behind the shop. If you have a rental car, then you won't have to worry about the diesel fuel smell. LOL

smilies-35308.png

See our New Divers and our Hawaii forums... :wink:

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Always good to try a Search before starting a new thread, tho :search: - click here for Search help, and be careful about posting Threads & Replies before reading the Sticky threads at the tops of most forums. PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

Hi dwm1!

I had a WONDERFUL experience last fall with Lisa and Roger at Oahu Scuba Divers- www.oahuscubadivers.com

Lisa is a moderator on the board- justleesa! You can see her profile here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/member.php?u=20910

They are so personable and they are not just DMs they become friends!

Have a WONDERFUL trip!

Welcome to the sb. Check out the local forums for more information.

I dove with Aqua Zone in honolulu, and they were a good outfit to dive with. As was previously mentioned, the corsair is a good deep dive... an added bonus is the very large field of garden eels near by.

Back
Top Bottom