Need information for Cavern Diving in Northern Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you recommend some accommodations if staying around the Blue Grotto?

While I realize this is subjective, what's the "typical" suit thickness required in these caverns?

Thanks,

Sy

Pretty sure Jug is cave only,and it will close this Tuesday
You would know better than me, Kelly, but unless that's changed in recent history, I'm 99% sure cavern is allowed.

While I realize this is subjective, what's the "typical" suit thickness required in these caverns?

My wife is very cold intolerant, and is alright in a 7mm full suit. A buddy did Cavern/Intro with me one January in a 5mm and ended up getting a core warmer...but that was due to repetetive, long dives and cold surface temps. I dove a 3mm farmer john, nominally 6mm on your core, 3mm on your extremities....but you could see my skin through my shoulders. I'd bet it was more of a 2mm john, so much less than a 5mm. More than just subjective, it depends on surface temps and length of dive. If you're diving a single tank for less than 40 minutes or so, and it's warm at the surface, a 5mm should be fine. If you're doing longer dives and it's cold at the surface, a nice 5mm would be better. Better yet, gloves/hood. Another option is a 5mm with something like Lavacore under it.

Can you recommend some accommodations if staying around the Blue Grotto?

Thanks,

Sy

The new owners of Blue grotto have set up small cabins on site and based on the last conversation with him there are going for around $90 a night. I'm not sure of anything else in Williston as the site is close enough to home that its a day trip for me. I would imagine if you cant find a spot in Williston that you should be able to get a hotel by the highway just about 20min away.

As for the temps in Blue Grotto and Devils Den they range between 70-73 degrees year round. Personally i like a 5mil with a hood and gloves, with that said i tend to dive these sights in my drysuit and stay in all day. Anything less than a 5mil and there will be teeth chatter within about 60min.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jug is a very nice cavern if you do not mind the walk.

Mat.

Keep in mind that Jug closes after this weekend and will not reopen for diving until October. It is a great dive though. Madison has a really nice cavern area if it opens back up. Orange Grove is also usually okay to dive even when the river forces Peacock closed. Keep an eye on the state park websites to find out what is closed though.

You've got some options.

Manatee, Jug, Blue Grotto, Blue Springs (Orange city), Devil's Den, Ginnie (Eye, Ear maybe, Ginnie Spring), Paradise. Depending on what the rivers do Peacock/Orange Grove might clear up. If you're feelin froggy, a drive to Marianna might be worthwhile, too.

Not a cavern but WeekiWachee is a neat OW dive. I'm not sure of the current requirements to dive there. I seem to recall something about needing to be with a class, but that might have changed.

Jug closed yesterday. It'll be open again in October.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom