Need Medical advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am Open Water Certified, and have my first dive trip in Feb. to Curacao. Since getting certified, I have been diagnosed with Hyperthyroid. I don't know how this may affect the diving. My doctors don't know either. I do know that they are adjusting my medication. I have anxiety, rapid heart rate, and weight loss. I want to know if anyone has similar symptoms, or can tell me about how it may affect my diving. Please help -- Feb. is fast approaching!! I hope I can dive on this trip.
Thanks!!

If you are hyperthyroid, are they putting you on suppressant medication? Is radioablation planned?

The thyroid gland is one of the "master glands" of the body -- thyroid hormone affects almost everything. Hyperthyroidism results in increased metabolic rate (therefore increased air consumption), increased heart rate -- and what would concern me, has a risk for arrhythmias. I would actually have your physicians who are managing your thyroid issues consult with a DAN MD, so that they can give accurate and complete information about your status to DAN and get some advice about risk.

I think if it were me, personally, that I wouldn't dive until my heart rate could be brought into the normal range. The idea of a tachydysrhythmia (extremely fast heart rate) underwater scares me.

I agree with Mark, talk to someone at DAN and get a referal to a Doctor that knows diving. Donna has a condition similar to Graves Disease, but it can go away and come back. I forget the medical term for that condition. When it is active, she has to take the same medications as you would have to take. Her diving is not limited, as long as her heart rate is under control. So check with a knowledgable Doctor and good luck.

Hyperthiroidiais is due to an exces of thyroid hormones called T3 and T4.

The most commom cause is Basedow Disease ( autoimmune disease where the thyroid is constantly stimulated by thyroid stimulating immunoglobines or IgG).
Other causes are: Thyroide nodule(s) who are releasing without any controle T3 and T4.
Excess of Iode somethimes.
Hypophyse tumor.
Cacer related (paraneoplsic syndrome)

Symptomes are: asthenia,lost of weight, little to high body temp (37.5 for example),fast heart rate, systolic hypertension, diarrhea,hand and foot schaking, irritability, depression,...

The cause has to be establicht by performing Thyroid hormone testing, thiroid scintigraphy and echography.

It is a condition that can affect diving both on a physical and mental fied.
It also can lead to thyrotoxicause and pannic attack crises.

It can be medically controled by taking antithyroid medication or surgery depending on the cause.

Dive only when diseae is under controle.

I am learning English on this board
Sorry...

No apologies! Your English is much better than my current state of spanish ability. I have the utmost respect for people who study and communicate in other languages. As a former ESL tutor, I can say that what matters most is being undertsood, not being perfect.

Thanks to all for your advice. Very helpful. I will check with the DAN Docs and see what I can find out there. Thanks, and safe diving to everyone!!!!

Back
Top Bottom