Need Michigan Diving Info! :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sontek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I grew up in mid-michigan (Clare) but wasn't a diver then. Now i'm returning to see family so they can meet my newborn son and want to explore some of the best dive sites while i'm out there. My wife has never been to Michigan so I will be giving her the grand tour of the state, from Grand Rapids to Detroit, to Clare, to Mackinac so we have options of diving anywhere.

What do you consider the best dive sites in any of the great lakes? What is water temp like? My wife doesn't have a drysuit but has a 7mm + hood if conditions are good enough for that.

We will be there the last 2 weeks of August.

What boat charter / dive shops do you guys think we should go with?

Its hard to pick the best. The Great Lakes are full of great wrecks. There are lots of dive shops that offer charters around the Port Huron area north and that area offers some great wrecks within recreational limits.

If you want a non rushed dive and time to enjoy the water, I like to rent a pontoon around the Munising area. You can do some diving and cruise along the pictured rocks for some sight seeing. There is a nice shallow wreck that is very well protected in Murray Bay.

I dove in a 7mm for a long time and this time of year you can get away with it pretty much every where around Michigan if your not doing tech stuff.

I recently spent a week in Traverse City visiting relatives, and I did 4 shore dives in Grand Traverse Bay. water temps the week of July 20 were 63 down to about 30 feet, 55 below that. not too bad at all. Scuba North in Traverse City is a great local shop. the Grand Traverse Bay Underwater Preserve has a map with 29 sites around the Bay--
I used a 3 mil suit, felt fine, but I tend to run warm.
Scuba North www.scubanorth.com
the preserve map Home - gtbup

A stop in Alpena, would be a must. There are numerous shallow wrecks doable in a 7mm. E.B Allen = 96', Grecian = 96', Montana = 70' and many more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom