Need political uprising updates/Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ibrahim Kamel is one of the tycoon businessmen part of the ruling party and rumors in the street that his money together with another one named Hassan Rateb was behind the action on Wednesday.
The public media is very comic and changing attitude very quickly from ignoring everything at first then starting to praise the protesters one day and then back to the governmental barnyard trying to proof by all means that the protest is over and those are minority looking for their own agendas coming from abroad. Many honest media people like Shahira Amin quit, not because they are with or against but because they are against deception and stupidity ...

So far the only honest picture is what you get from people that are already there, our friends and families that are in tahreer square ... today the situation is different, people are increasing, no accurate figure but they are approaching few hundreds of thousands... the thugs changed their strategy after the army increased presence in the square, they are stopping people in streets and sending them back home... yet not on a wide scale...
No idea how this will end ....

Joke from a German friend today:

Hosni Mubarak, like most Egyptians, was saying his daily prayers. Unlike every other occasion however, Allah decides to respond in person, so he sends an angel down to Mubarak in response to his dilemma. The angel tactfully explains the situation to the president and says - "Hosni, I think it's time to leave".

The Egpytian president looks out of his palace at the thousands of demonstrators in Tahrier Square and says to the angel, "I agree - but where will they all go!?" :D

Amusingly,

C.

in the beginning of this post (17 days ago) a typical example of western arrogance was written....

Egyptian culture is quite different as well - i doubt they've got the balls for extended protests to bring about change.

Now 17 days later, the people of Egypt hold their faith in their hands....Mubarak is gone...

and many owe an apology....an apology for supporting a tyrant in power for 30 years...
But i doubt that they have the balls for it....

GEODIVE,

What you are saying is the truth. It is amazing how fast the West dropped Mubarak even though they have supported him for so long. But, as a former British minister said, "There are no eternal enemies and no eternal friends."

Last edited:
I doubt it'll effect the tourist trade at all.
(...)
Egyptian culture is quite different as well - i doubt they've got the balls for extended protests to bring about change.

Most likely it'll all calm down now as they're getting bored already.

Well???

People in Egypt have shown courage, patience, resolve and finally won!
I hope and wish them the same steadfastness to build a new democratic country...

And again, congratulations!

This won't be another Tunisia for a few reasons. Firstly Mbarack has the military, media and police firmly on his side. Also the US backs him and Clinton has already come out in support for him.

He might be a military dictator of a fairly oppressive regime with a sketchy human rights issue but he co-operates with the US and the west so will be supported at all costs.

Ben Ali in Tunisia had none of that. He wasn't useful so wasn't backed.

Most likely it'll all calm down now as they're getting bored already. Expect a massive government and police crackdown before the sham presidential elections later in the year though. By then they'll probably have more ability to block internet traffic, mobile phones and so on.

Ultimately its in the wests interest that Mbarack wins anyway so they'll back him no-matter what.
They really don't want democracy as that would guarantee a less favourable leader there.

I really can't see it affecting a tourist at all, especially in May. Sinai i doubt you'd notice anything going on at all.

Talk about eating your own words. This typifies the ugly, arrogant holier-than-thou Western attitude. As if Egyptians or Middle Easterners are unable to make changes or shape their destiny. Maybe it is something only the good folks of your ilk can?

I find your remarks racist and very offensive especially considering that you were making your living working in Egypt and depending on the good and welcoming nature of the good people of Egypt. Your comments are sick and truly racist!!!

You owe the courageous and generous people of Egypt an apology IMO.

GEODIVE,

What you are saying is the truth. It is amazing how fast the West dropped Mubarak even though they have supported him for so long. But, as a former British minister said, "There are no eternal enemies and no eternal friends."

"America doesn't have friends, America only has interests"-Henry Kissinger

Mubarak could no longer provide stability. America no longer had a interest.

Isn't that the truth. I am sure that all of America's "friends" in the Middle East are taking notice. America is right to watch out for its interests, that is only logical and proper. It is only if the Middle Eastern leaders would learn to safe guard their peoples' interest first before anyone else's.

Talk about eating your own words. This typifies the ugly, arrogant holier-than-thou Western attitude. As if Egyptians or Middle Easterners are unable to make changes or shape their destiny. Maybe it is something only the good folks of your ilk can?

I find your remarks racist and very offensive especially considering that you were making your living working in Egypt and depending on the good and welcoming nature of the good people of Egypt. Your comments are sick and truly racist!!!

You owe the courageous and generous people of Egypt an apology IMO.
It is their country and I have friends there who are on both sides of the issues, altho I don't get into why with them as it is their country. I do hope they can build a good democracy and not a worse regime. Saw where the people are returning to the streets to clean them. :thumb:

Hehe, yeah.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom