Need recommendations for dive op / location for January live aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emttim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, so me and my wife are planning our first live aboard, and the Aggressor fleet has a New Years' Special going on for the first week of January.

I know that January is pretty iffy as far as weather, and I don't want to pay 6 grand or so for a trip and then get blown out, so what locations in the Caribbean are the most recommended / safest for January?

The list of locations we're looking at are Utila, Belize, Turks & Caicos and Cayman.

I mentioned the Aggressor fleet because of the discount, but I do not plan to go with them for sure, as they are far more expensive than the Dancer fleet and the Explorer (although Explorer only does Turks & Caicos out of the 4 locations on our list). I would love to hear your recommendations on either the Aggressor, Explorer (if applicable) or Dancer for the specific boats for those 4 destinations.

I found in another thread that the water temp will be around 77-81 in the winter for the water...will this hold true throughout the Caribbean? Thanks guys!

I live in Hawaii and in the winter the water temps are 72-73, our winter temps are 79-80. Our summer temps are very similar to winter temps in the Caribbean - that's my understanding at least.

I'm speaking from what I've read on other trip reports, sounds like you'll get cooler water and higher winds (aka choppy seas).

Ok, so me and my wife are planning our first live aboard, and the Aggressor fleet has a New Years' Special going on for the first week of January.

I know that January is pretty iffy as far as weather, and I don't want to pay 6 grand or so for a trip and then get blown out, so what locations in the Caribbean are the most recommended / safest for January?

The list of locations we're looking at are Utila, Belize, Turks & Caicos and Cayman.

I mentioned the Aggressor fleet because of the discount, but I do not plan to go with them for sure, as they are far more expensive than the Dancer fleet and the Explorer (although Explorer only does Turks & Caicos out of the 4 locations on our list). I would love to hear your recommendations on either the Aggressor, Explorer (if applicable) or Dancer for the specific boats for those 4 destinations.

I found in another thread that the water temp will be around 77-81 in the winter for the water...will this hold true throughout the Caribbean? Thanks guys!

I suggest not limiting yourself to the Caribbean. Since we're right here at the hub for the Pacific, it's takes about the same amount of time to go and much more diversity there.

The worst part of diving at this time of year is trying to keep from gettng sick, and staying away from those who are on the way to the location.

I suggest not limiting yourself to the Caribbean. Since we're right here at the hub for the Pacific, it's takes about the same amount of time to go and much more diversity there.

The worst part of diving at this time of year is trying to keep from gettng sick, and staying away from those who are on the way to the location.

We were limiting ourself to the Caribbean because ticket prices to the Pacific (we looked at Palau and Papua New Guinea) are enough to make me cry. The Caribbean at least is still close to $1,000 for ticket prices...Palau was $1,700. Can't afford that kind of air fare right now.

We definitely plan to make a lot of Pacific trips in the future though, especially to Hawaii, seeing as we can get a plane ticket for $300 there...just doesn't sound like booking a liveaboard for Hawaii for New Years is a great idea. It sounds like they can get some pretty bad seas and lots of surge out there...not interested in paying a couple grand per person to be in a washing machine. I can get that for damn near free in Monterey. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom