Need reg recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't. My long hose comes off the right post, and the backup from the left post -- DIR style -- just like what's shown in the picture up there.

BTW, I'm curious what you set your IP at on your Apeks for 30F seawater. I keep mine at 132psi or so, and they've done great. I did manage to make mine free flow last weekend, but it took 20mins of sticking my head in and out of 34F water -- not too bad. I used to get a free flows more regularly when I had the IP set at factory 145psi. The last few years, my Apeks have done fine. You're one of the few that I have talked to that use Apeks in colder water than I.

Just curious.

Mike

Usualy I keep my IP at 145psi and it works great, I do turn the cracking preesure a little bit down during the winter though. I did some dives with 135 IP during this winter (more that 25 dives in sub zero) and I had no problems. The only time I got a free flow was due to accidental pre-dive purging... I did dive once this march and the water temp was 32F, I got a slight free flow on my third dive at night, But I think it was due to some residual moisture that must have frozen over.
These are the best regs I ever tried.

m&m

We follow some rules that I'm sure that you do too;

No purging above water or below water.
Not to use till the equipment gets acclimatized.
Begin with an exhalation and inhale slowly.
Minimize overuse (hard breathing).
Regs stay in the water if you pop up.
e.t.c

I think they help because I've noted a lot less freeflows with people who follow them and who even have inferior regs. I saw some guys using unbalaced pistons with no evniropacks ice diving with us and they did fine... (they did stay shalow, less that 50feet).

m&m

That's pretty much what we do too. I've had my TX50 go off on me twice while doing everything right, but nothing since I've reduced the IP (unless I made it free flow).

Take care,

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom