Need some advise in choosing Mask and a pair of Fins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also have the Atomic Frameless and love it...super lightweight, great FOV, comfortable, no leaks and an excellent buckling system. Like others have said, there is no truly "best" mask because best is going to be conginent on how well it fits you, what you're looking for in a mask, etc. However, when discussions of great masks come up, there seems to be several that consistently get mentioned. Mares liquivision is one of them, but before settling on it I would also check out: atomic frameless, atomic sub-frame and oceanic shadow. I'm sure at least one of these will fit...but if the atomic frameless fits, I highly recommend buying it--it's one of the few pieces of gear I own that I am completely happy with.

Lots of good comments on the Atomic frameless. Has anyone had one modified for corrective vision? If so, who did it and how is it working?

RJP - that's a ridiculously great write up on the merits of the Atomic Frameless. You should save it somewhere and whip it out every time the subject comes up.

My son dives with an Atomic Frameless and loves it. He's a cross country runner with very little body fat, unlike his father, ahem, and had a hard time finding a mask that fits his narrow face. He went with the medium or narrow size or whatever it is they call it.

carobinsoniv - My son uses contacts so I can't help you there. I can tell you, for what it's worth, that I use the Atomic Subframe ARC mask with bifocal lenses put in by the good folks at Prescription Dive Masks with absolutely no issues. Per PDM's website, they can "put any prescription in any mask" but how that would work for you I couldn't say.

Lots of good comments on the Atomic frameless. Has anyone had one modified for corrective vision? If so, who did it and how is it working?

I installed "cheaters" in mine that I bought at Walgreens for $9.99. Good enough for my "not quite good enough" presbyopic eyes.

google Optx 20/20

Hi Ronald, I own a pair of Hydrooptix mask

mask.jpg

Cons: They're quite pricey, about $180 bucks and you have to wear contacts with them . If you're already nearsighted then you can probably wear them without contacts. They're slightly inconvenient just due to the fact that I have to wear contacts first, but if you dive often (like I do) you'll get used to the whole process and putting on contacts takes less time than wearing a wetsuit.

Pros: After going through a 1 month supply of disposable contact lenses all I can say is this mask truly changed my whole diving experience. Other than seeing objects at their true size, everything looks a bit sharper! It's like watching HD! Field of view is just unmatched by conventional masks - 170 degrees, continuous, distortion free, panoramic.

Of all the gear I spent money on, this is the only one I could honestly say was truly worth the purchase (my atomic aquatics fin a close second):D And with scuba diving being a visual experience, it is in my humble opinion that your eyesight is worth the investment - even if you don't buy Hydrooptix.
What about the cover lenses? Is it a nuisance to take it off, clip it in the Stowing Plate, and then put it back on to get back on the boat. I'm contemplating buying one (I'm nearsighted now, so I won't need contacts), but that part seems a PITA.

What about the cover lenses? Is it a nuisance to take it off, clip it in the Stowing Plate, and then put it back on to get back on the boat. I'm contemplating buying one (I'm nearsighted now, so I won't need contacts), but that part seems a PITA.

Hi Md4P, I apologize for the late response. Anyway, you're right. Putting on and taking off the cover lens is kinda PITA. I tried it a couple of times and just got tired of it. Fortunately, I adjusted well to seeing even with the contacts on so yes I stay nearsighted during surface intervals instead. All I do is just squint a little bit and that kinda sorta helps me focus on things. I also have the surface interval glasses but after my first 2 weeks of using them I just opted to adjust w/out em.

I hope you get your hydrooptix mask soon, I'm pretty sure you won't regret it. I just fell in love with diving all over again the moment I started using this mask:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom