Need some input choosing the right gun for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well i called my lds and i was told they can get me the 42 in rhino for 300, or teak/mahogany fo 250-270. i feel that a 48 is going to be a bit much for me, im really still planning on stalking the fish until im within 6-7 feet, just because i want a good clean shot, and its fun trying to get close. what do you guys think of the "finish" options? thanks for all the help so far.

so what do you usually shoot that needs the extra length?

Effective range on a typical line gun (powered optimally) is going to be between 2 and 2.5 times the length of the shaft from the muzzle. The more bone and hard tissue you have to go through the closer you need to be. Or you need a shaft that has more mass to give you the penetration. A 48" shaft is considered to be the minimum size for the conditions and fish you are likely to be going after. Some gun manufacturers call their guns different numbers that kind of hide the important number from you, shaft length is most important.

Also remember that when you over power a gun by putting too much band on there it kicks more robbing you of power and accuracy. That is why you can't buy a smaller gun and just put more powerful bands on it. (Guns with an enclosed track that are properly ballasted being an exception).

If you can get a teak gun cheaper than a rhino gun get teak, it will last longer with minimal care to the wood. There are plenty of people who like to buy the best just because it has that status and there are plenty of people who are proud as hell of their POS guns because they have part of their ego and identity caught up in their "baby". It should tell you something that alot of the advice is consistently telling you to go for a sea hornet or biller and avoid the JBL.

FYI I personally shoot a 52" Sea Hornet Commercial gun (60" shafts) and have for 5 years when on scuba, after working my way up through several guns from a JBL competition magnum. Save yourself the growing pains and get the right gun to start with.

Also if you are asking for input in the dive shop, make sure the person giving you advise is qualified to speak by something other than landing a job as a tank jockey. I have heard more ignorant BS from shop monkeys than anyother group of people when it comes to spearfishing.

It is as said before by a very wise man "it is the indian and not the arrow"

I would put my friend Jim's 48" beat -up homemade JBL using a shower rod against anyone's gun on earth for sheer TONNAGE of fish.Quite a few freeshafted with JBL paralyzers.He shoots probably 15 to 20 TONS:shocked2: of fish per year.Commercial guys in the SE swear by Biller,JBL and SS guns for a reason.

I use Billers in the 54" range but know several guys locally who shoot 48"s with exceptional results.When considering internet advice I would suggest looking for pictures and trip reports before giving to much credence to anyone.Just as mentioned about shop monkeys.There is a great deal of advice available but I don't know how much is advisable:shakehead:

alright well i finally purchased one today... what a relief haha. rhino 42" this thing is just so badass lol. only 2 complaints haha, it doesnt make sense to me why they put the safety on the right side of the gun (i like JBL's safety positioning) and the other thing being that i couldnt get it at my local dive shop... they didnt have the 42, and there arent going to be any new sea hornet guns for "MONTHS..." according to kevin at spearfishing specialties. some problem with the machine that makes the handles over in australia. he said that tusa is going to be the new distributer.

but anyway... safety positioning isnt too big of a deal. but i did get it for $220 at divers direct (25% off spearfishing gear all this month) which i thought was a great deal. well thanks for all the help, ill let you guys know how it works out when i try it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom