Need some input choosing the right gun for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, leave the safety in place!
Anybody that has been hunting more than ones knows that there is just NO TIME to remove the safety and hit your target at the right moment in most cases but the safety has many other uses like for exsample..when jumpimg off and hitting the water (unloaded) the water pressure hitting your trigger or your finger can push it back just enough that will discharge it, even if is NOT loaded. The last thing you want when entering the water (specially in a current) is to have to deal with a gun, a line, a shaft and maybe several other diving/hunting equipment all at the same moment specially during a bad drift condition over your hunting site. Keep that safety in the gun, you don't need to have it "on" when you hunt but it should be "on" before you hit the water at entry and again just before you get to the surface were you will have to deal with a number of other problems/situations before you're "set" after your dive.

A safety in my opinion gives a false sense of security. The safety prevents you from pulling the trigger. Not from the gun firing. Trigger mechanisms and salt water and tight tolerances lead to misfires every once in a while. I'd rather not rely on a safety and just know the gun could fire at any time, and keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times.

Most custom guns don't come with safeties. Also, I wouldn't hold the gun by the handle with my finger on the trigger while entering or exiting the water.?.

Good luck. Post some pics of your first kill!

The likely hood of there being any problems with clipping the gun to yourself is slim. Although, i've heard plenty of stories of people being hit by a shark or a cuda on the way up. So the real issue isn't the gun attracting the predator, but your stringer full of fish obviously. I do a lot of free dive spearing at night near the jetties here at home and i've had black tips take my catch several times (we carry bags behind us on a line to the boat). So the guns their as security.
All in all i wouldn't attach either to yourself as a precaution. Good luck though.

i say it is better to have a good knife handy and easy to get to with BOTH HANDS for safety..the gun is always a plus, but there are times that it is not easy to use as a defense mech and having a knife handy is key...I would rather have the gun clipped to a floatline and a float than to myself, as the more I have clipped to me (freediver here) the more i feel encumbered and unsafe.

just my .02

happy hunting and dive safely

I keep my loaded gun in hand ready for defense at any safety stop. I unload right before I get to the boat. Sharks can be pretty aggressive on safety stops and at the surface.
Remember to never feed the sharks.
Dive safe.

What he said. Seems sharks/cudas can hear you slack your bands, they always show up as soon as you do!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom