Need suggestion for P/S setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Citra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi I am new to the board and need some suggestions for my first U/W set up. I am looking for camera, housing and one strobe. My budget is max $1000.00. I want something fairly simple to use with auto settings and maybe some manual settings for later down the road. I have been reading up a lot on the forum here and am still not sure on what to buy.

I have some setups I am interested in:

1. Sea & Sea DX-1200HD sport kit with YS-27DX strobe and Grip stay S and soft case. I really like the look and quality of the Sea & Sea especially the housing and strobe, but am not sure on the actual camera that comes with it. I don't really need the hd video.

Does this camera take good pictures? Is this strobe sufficient or do I need the YS-110a?

2. Sealife DC1000 Elite kit , I like the price and the fact that it comes with a wide angle lens. I am not sure on the black rubber look of this setup.

How would this compare to the Sea & Sea as well as the strobe?

3. Ikelite ultra compact case with any Nikon or Canon compact and AF-35 strobe or possibly the DS-51.

What camera to use? I have a Nikon S-610 for a land camera and like it a lot. I could use this and get another camera for land the S-630 or vise versa? What do you think? Do you need a camera with a underwater mode like the Canons or does it matter? How much optical zoom would be needed?

The strobes? how do they compare to the Sea & Sea? ie. output

I am looking for a quality setup that I will not have upgrade too soon. Any help or suggestions on other setup would be greatly appreciated.

did you consider a canon G11 or S90 with the canon UW case? The camera and case will run you about 550-580. These camera will give you more options then the dc1000 or DX 1200, since they are bridge camera vs a pure point and shoot? The canon housing are quite good.

I looked at the S90 but was not sure if it was to advanced for me? Doed it shoot in auto mode as well? Do you need to use the underwater setting for auto? How does the Canon housings compare to the Ikelite?

Yes it does and it is a way better camera then the ones you mention. And if you want to learn more about photography, it is a good bridge camera. So you can use some manual modes. It is a very good camera.

Thanks for the info. Do you have any suggestions on a strobe that would go well with Canon or Ikelite housings? How powerful of a strobe do I need?

This is excerpt is from a thread from the canon conner. It some good info.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/320328-canon-g11-sx20is.html

The FIX S90 housing accepts virtually all wide angle/ultra wide angle 52/67 threaded, AD, 28AD, ST wet lenses as well as a variety of macro threaded and bayonet lenses.

The Ikelite S90 housing seems to work acceptably (reportedly) with some threaded wide angle and macro wet lenses.

The Canon S90 housing has macro options but no wide angle options. Fantasea bubble lens?

Since both of these cameras are new, especially the S90, some of this is still developing as we speak.

On the strobe the Ikelite is pretty good, so is the one you are looking at too. Just get a slave cable.

I would highly suggest the Canon S90 in the Fisheye Fix S90 housing. A very compact set up to start with. You can start in Auto and move into more manual controls. Plenty of optional accessory lenses (macro and wide angle). Price point is very nice, even for a machined aluminum housing, and image results are stunning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom