Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How does it compare to others? It seems the only way is new led technology or more battery.
I gave you the link. The information is there for you to look up. I use the site for determining which brands maintain constant output and which don't.

How does it compare to others? It seems the only way is new led technology or more battery.

Not sure if you saw my post in another thread.

As I'm sure you know, most of the lights in this class use the Cree XM-L2 LED emitter, which effectively limits the light to around 1100 lumens, max. And at that output level, it consumes very roughly 6W of power.

An 3300 mAh 18650 cell has 12 Wh of capacity.

So, with that LED, running at max, it will be limited to a max burntime at max output of 2 hours. In reality, of course, it will be less. Also in reality, most lights with that LED/battery combo do not maintain constant output. The taper down over time, so they do actually run longer than 2 hours.

The Dive Rite CX2 uses new LED technology - a Luminus SST40 LED emitter. That one appears to be brighter than the Cree XM-L2 and equally power efficient at the same output level.

From what I can tell looking at the spec sheet, the SST40 produces roughly the same number of lumens as the Cree at max, when the SST is chewing 2.87V and 2A, i.e. about 6W. So, they are pretty much comparable when both putting out what is max for the Cree. I.e. the same size battery would give about the same runtime in either.

But, the SST40 can run 3.14V and 4A to yield roughly 1700 lumens. That is 12.6W. So, almost double the output for about double the power. A yield the Cree cannot match.

And, the CX2 uses a 21700 battery. With 5000mAh in the 21700 battery, you have 18.5 Wh. So, at the same output as the Cree max, you can get about 50% more burntime. And you have the option for almost double the output at roughly half the amount of time, of course.

Cree XM-L2 + 18650 battery == the standard for the last few years.

Luminus SST40 + 21700 battery == new LED tech and bigger battery. I'm thinking other companies will start to match the CX2 and this combo of LED and battery is going to be the New Standard.

The Dive Rite CX2 is also shockingly (to me, anyway) inexpensive for being a light from a big name brand manufacturer and being as capable as it is. $159 MSRP. It's almost a no-brainer compared to just about any Cree/18650 based light that does not have constant output. The only Cree/18650 light with constant output that I know of is the DR LX20+, which is $550.

Not sure if you saw my post in another thread.

As I'm sure you know, most of the lights in this class use the Cree XM-L2 LED emitter, which effectively limits the light to around 1100 lumens, max. And at that output level, it consumes very roughly 6W of power.

An 3300 mAh 18650 cell has 12 Wh of capacity.

So, with that LED, running at max, it will be limited to a max burntime at max output of 2 hours. In reality, of course, it will be less. Also in reality, most lights with that LED/battery combo do not maintain constant output. The taper down over time, so they do actually run longer than 2 hours.

The Dive Rite CX2 uses new LED technology - a Luminus SST40 LED emitter. That one appears to be brighter than the Cree XM-L2 and equally power efficient at the same output level.

From what I can tell looking at the spec sheet, the SST40 produces roughly the same number of lumens as the Cree at max, when the SST is chewing 2.87V and 2A, i.e. about 6W. So, they are pretty much comparable when both putting out what is max for the Cree. I.e. the same size battery would give about the same runtime in either.

But, the SST40 can run 3.14V and 4A to yield roughly 1700 lumens. That is 12.6W. So, almost double the output for about double the power. A yield the Cree cannot match.

And, the CX2 uses a 27100 battery. With 5000mAh in the 21700 battery, you have 18.5 Wh. So, at the same output as the Cree max, you can get about 50% more burntime. And you have the option for almost double the output at roughly half the amount of time, of course.

Cree XM-L2 + 18650 battery == the standard for the last few years.

Luminus SST40 + 21700 battery == new LED tech and bigger battery. I'm thinking other companies will start to match the CX2 and this combo of LED and battery is going to be the New Standard.

The Dive Rite CX2 is also shockingly (to me, anyway) inexpensive for being a light from a big name brand manufacturer and being as capable as it is. $159 MSRP. It's almost a no-brainer compared to just about any Cree/18650 based light that does not have constant output. The only Cree/18650 light with constant output that I know of is the DR LX20+, which is $550.
Exactly my point, it seems the orca mentioned are pretty standard in performance for a Cree single 18650, the implication is that this is unusual performance while the dive rite looks to be the next generation, better led and better battery.

I’m interested in testing a d530! I’ve been debating getting a bigblue or orcatorch this is a perfect opportunity for me to try out an orcatorch 🙂

👋
You could keep the item you reviewed.
😄
US only~ YouTube testers preferred~

👉
pic 1, Orcatorch D530 UV dive light.
👉
pic 2, Orcatorch D530 red led dive light.
👉
pic 3, Orcatorch SD03 ( 4 color in I ) beacon light.
👉
pic 4, Orcatorch D560 mini dive headlamp.
👉
pic 5, Orcatorch D550 dive light with wrist strap.

Someone wants to review it?
🔦

Please let me know if you or your friends are interested in testing~
🙌

🔥
Limited quantity. First come, first served~

Check out more details on Amazon to choose your favorite light to test:

If this is still open, I’d love to try the D530 red light. I have a trip to Bonaire coming up mid-March. I have new camera lights and a UV but not a red light.

Testers, real world user reviews of your D720 would be nice. Not much info, zero reviews (?). Interested in this light but at asking price it's a big ask to buy on faith alone. Thank you.

LOL! I just looked that up. I think their info on their website is missing a couple of digits. It says on High the light is 350 lumens for 1.5 hours. On low, it's 110 lumens. LOL!

I'd bet a dollar that is supposed to read 3500 lumens and 1100 lumens.

The video showing the spot beam looks pretty impressive. The specs say it will focus down to a 3 degree beam angle. I was skeptical until I watched the video. However, it also seems like it has no spill area at all. I'm not sure I would like that. Even at its wide, 18 degree, setting, it looks like there is no spill.

I think a 6 degree or so beam angle with a decent amount of spill is pretty ideal. A narrow beam with no spill at all is good for signaling, but it's not that great for actually seeing stuff.

Testers, real world user reviews of your D720 would be nice. Not much info, zero reviews (?). Interested in this light but at asking price it's a big ask to buy on faith alone. Thank you.

What's the price on it? I looked on Amazon and the Orcatorch store and don't see a price anywhere.

NVM: I found it on scuba.com. $386! And the info there also says 350 and 110 lumens. Probably won't sell too many with those specs posted...!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom