Need wetsuit & totally overwhelmed ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtbriten

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been diving with a Henderson Gold Core for several years now in waters ranging from 78 and up. Recently did the Solmar in Sea of Cortez and had to rent another layer. Am planning on Belize this February (Liveaboard) and noticed that the water temps can be as low as 73. Brrr. My problem. I live in MA in the boonies and there are few dive shops. To complicate that I am 5' 2" tall and what dive shops we do have only carry suits for "bigger" people. So I am stuk with ordering online. I'm trying to make the right decision the first time so I don't pay postage about 5 times!! My needs and questions:
1. I need a wetsuit that will fit a woman with small arms and shoulders. Of course the hips and waist need a bit more room. Wetsuit makers seem to think woman are shaped like mannequins. :11: I thought about the hyperstretch but heard that they aren't as warm at depth???
2. I want to wear a hood cause I get cold easily. Am confused on which combo to do.. 5mm with hooded vest or core warmer with vest.. or 7 mm with bibbed hood.. aurghhh
3. And then... the ultimate and most important.. What is the state of the art at present. I looked into the AquaSuede by Henderson. Supposedly the best of all worlds... hyperstretch, instant dry, and gold core lining for easy donning, but I can only find it in 3mm.
Anyway... as you can see.. I don't know what to get or where to start. Any advice?

Well, I can't answer all your questions, but I can start.

I'm 5'3" (4 if I watch my posture!). I wear a size 8P in most things. I tried on a Henderson hyperstretch 3mm and it fit perfectly--skin tight but I could breathe. I have a 3mm hyperstretch hood and I can tell you it has the warmth of a 1 mil, maybe 2, so the 3 mm suit will not be enough!

I also have a Mares size 10 3mm which fits like a glove and has the advantage of zipper ankles which means I can get it on easily and still get my booties on (the wrists are too wide by about 1/2 inch though). Dived Panama City Sunday and at 76 -77F I was OK most of the dives but got chilled a little towards the last third (was wearing the aforementioned hood).

On the way home stopped at a shop and bought an Aqualung Elon 5/3, size 8, which fits very very nicely, almost too tight but after I jumped in their pool and played around I could tell it would be good in the water. No ankle zips so I will ahve trouble with the booties because I have muscular calves and tiny ankles so have trouble getting the boots up and the wetsuit legs over them.

I also have two SeaQuest 3/2 suits size 11/12 from before I lost weight. These fit my height pretty well but the arms and legs are too long (torso is reasonably good--might be too long for you). So I'd recommend trying to find a Mares (mines was on closeout 2 seasons ago and I don't see them often) or the Aqualung or Henderson 7/5. Most other Henderson and other brand suits are too long in the torso for me.

I would like another hood and will most likely get a hyperstretch 7/5 or maybe ask them to do a 7/3 for me. 7 over the head and 3 where it needs to be stretchy might work. I wear a size 7 or 7 1/8 hat and needed an XS hood. I can't find a small in any brand that isn't too big.

Hope this helps and gives you a general idea of what another short woman who gets cold easily is wearing!

Robin

Back
Top Bottom