Nekton Rorqual 7/25/09 - 8/1/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want trip reports from both you and Scott. I would like info and opinions from people I know. You both have quite a line of BS but I can recognize it and filter when I read your posts. :rofl3:

I wish you both a good trip and fun dives.

Art

PS Scott? I lied when I told you Nekton guaranteed Blue Ringed Octopus and Flamboyant Cuttlefish. :dork2:

No worries. I might BS here and there but my trip reports aren't BS they are based on what I have experienced. Just hope the company is still afloat in October so I get a chance to write one.

I must,firstly, admitt I did not read all the posts in this very long thread...having written that:

I spent the last 7 months with Nekton, on the Pilot, and quit for several reasons. Incidentally I posted a thread yesterday and it was pulled due to "slanderous" statements about the owner...I will keep this one tame.

The main issue with all crew is getting paid. The Nekton office is very slow to get out payroll and that boils down to just one person...John Dixon. Crew are the last on the list to get paid. Hence the result is an upset crew which results in poor performances. Additionaly, Nekton deducts the cost of processing credit cards tips from the crews pay, which is an abomination as that is the cost of doing business.

I too had to wait 6 weeks before I saw my first check and Nekton still owes me several weeks of pay. I had to threaten Dixon with legal recourse to get him to pay me and he did...for three pay periods, to which it all stopped three weeks ago.

I think I read in a previous post about the sanitary conditions...It's all true. If the CDC were to come aboard, at least the Pilot, the boat would be quarantined and not allowed to sail until fixed.

The engines and generators on the pilot are in poor shape. The pilot is a mess. It's old and it looks it. The crew can only do so much with what they have to work with...again, the result of Dixon not taking care business.

The crews...when I first went the work on the Pilot we had an awesome crew. The guest comment cards were full of positive feedback. I can't say the same now. There are very few crew on the Pilot worth mentioning, but I will; Dustin, Renee, David Bone, and Heike are the best on the Pilot. The rest are...not worth mentioning. Some one wrote about the married crew...we had a couple Mr & Mrs Melissa, last name I can't remember which is just as well, they are so unprofessional that they would rather be kissy face and chatty then take care of the customers, especially in the critical area such as the dive deck.

At any rate...the experience on the Pilot was an experience. I have great memories and some terrible ones. I would still be working for Nekton if for one person...John Dixon. He is the sole reason for the demise of the operation.

So if you are planning a trip on either boat...buyer beware.:no:

Greg

Greg

Then get off the thread...I for one am tired of reading your drivel. The Nekton Cruise owner needs to sell the business. And you need to open your eyes and your mind...I have read the guest comments and as a former crew member...they are all in the right and your not.

Yes I had wondered what happened to that other thread...thanks for stating that it was pulled by the mods and not you having it removed:wink: I don't have a dog in this fight but WAS considering the boat...but have X'd it off my bucket list...

I would be curious to find out why the few "good crew members" are still working on the ship...but no matter....I work at a job I hate too:wink:

seems like the decline of this company has been sliding downhill for a while and now is starting to come to a head...good luck to you and the rest of the crew on getting what you are owed....those types of jobs look glamorous but in fact are hard work with low pay :shakehead:

My wife and I were on this trip. The diving was great! Now, for my part,
Drug testing is a great tool for enhancing the safety of the crew, the passengers and the vessel. Glad it was used. In my opinion the mark of a good captain and crew is how they handle an unpleasant situation. The remaining crew stepped up and did a remarkable job insuring the best possible dive vacation for the guest. My thanks go out to them!

Josh did a great job as backup cook for a day or so until they hired Renee'. Her beef wellington for mid mornning snack WOW. to die for

I want trip reports from both you and Scott. I would like info and opinions from people I know. You both have quite a line of BS but I can recognize it and filter when I read your posts. :rofl3:

I wish you both a good trip and fun dives.

Art

PS Scott? I lied when I told you Nekton guaranteed Blue Ringed Octopus and Flamboyant Cuttlefish. :dork2:

I am looking forward to your trip reports. I hope this drama is over by then and you have an awesome time.

P.S. If you smoke enough dope, all octopus have blue rings and all cuttlefish begin to look flamboyant, especially when they are swimming next to the pink zebras.

Last edited:
My wife and I were on this trip. The diving was great! Now, for my part, ....In my opinion the mark of a good captain and crew is how they handle an unpleasant situation. The remaining crew stepped up and did a remarkable job insuring the best possible dive vacation for the guest. My thanks go out to them!

An actual guest that was there during an internal corporate spat.

Thank you. :cool2: We anticipate a good trip as well.

Then get off the thread...I for one am tired of reading your drivel. The Nekton Cruise owner needs to sell the business. And you need to open your eyes and your mind...I have read the guest comments and as a former crew member...they are all in the right and your not.

Just out of curiosity, WHO were you addressing in this post? it is accepted custom to identify who you are responding to. IF it was directed at me (and I have no idea), and you are tired of reading what you consider "drivel", I suggest you go somewhere else. I also think you should reconsider asking anyone to "get off this thread" as it is a public forum and ALL opinions (even yours) are welcome.

Just out of curiosity, WHO were you addressing in this post? it is accepted custom to identify who you are responding to. IF it was directed at me (and I have no idea), and you are tired of reading what you consider "drivel", I suggest you go somewhere else. I also think you should reconsider asking anyone to "get off this thread" as it is a public forum and ALL opinions (even yours) are welcome.

I was addressing you...as I'm not fully versed in using the tools of scuba board, my fault for not placing the post correctly. In fact your earlier post read that if it were not for negative posts you would not be writing in here. So I took the time to tell you to leave. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. :shakehead:

I have to admit that although we adored our 3 Nekton cruises, we chose to go to Bonaire last year instead of doing another Nekton cruise....and I would really love to do the Medio itinerary and go back to Cay Sal Bank.

A few things are keeping us away from Nekon: The first was when the cancellation policy changed after a friend of ours had made his final payment and wasn't sure he could go due to a back injury. Even after extensive conversations with the office and John Dixon himself, he had to threaten a lawsuit to get John Dixon to admit that a refund was within the old cancellation policy. Fortunately our friend was able to go, but the bad taste was there.

The second was when two well respected and long-time office folks left abruptly under some interesting circumstances. Since it isn't my story and would all be heresay, I won't post what I remember (that wouldn't be right or fair), but a few extensive conversations with one of those folks was enough to make us look elsewhere for our next vacation.

Thirdly, when long-time captains like Ephey and Nelson leave I can't help but feel a bit uncomfortable. We feel very lucky that Ephey was captain on all 3 of our Nekton cruises.

Before we booked Bonaire for THIS year we talked about doing Medio with Nekton, but with the economy the way it is, we simply don't have much confidence in the company and again chose to go elsewhere. Sadly, we didn't even consider a Nekton trip for next year, and instead will enjoy a trip to Roatan and Fiji instead.

This isn't the first thread that has popped up with too many grains of truth resonating in my head. While on board the Pilot for 2 straight weeks, we gained some insight into many things about the boat and company from the crew that were disturbing and had us asking many questions. Ironically, when we found out it was Ephey's last week before he went on vacation, both my husband and I wondered if he would return to the boat with just the stuff we had been privvy to....and he didn't. :(

I think Nekton has an amazing product and absolutely think those boats are the best liveaboard style out there (this after watching the Peter Hughes boat rock and roll in a storm in Belize while we were barely moving). If things turn around with the business end of the company and serious overhauls are done to both boats to clean them up and take care of all the deferred or Mickey-Mouse maintenance, I would be the first one to book a cruise. In the meantime, I sit and wait for the tide to turn for the better or to hear they've gone under....I hope it's the former.

Back
Top Bottom