Nekton Rorqual 7/25/09 - 8/1/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was addressing you...as I'm not fully versed in using the tools of scuba board, my fault for not placing the post correctly. In fact your earlier post read that if it were not for negative posts you would not be writing in here. So I took the time to tell you to leave. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. :shakehead:

My feelings are not hurt. Here is how it works...If you want to reply to someone's drivel, at the bottom of their post you will see a button that says, "Quote." Press that button and the quote you want to respond to will appear. At the bottom of their quote, you can add your response.

I don't think that is exactly what I wrote, what I was saying is that just about every argument has been covered here in the 15 or so pages of this thread. If people are done slinging mud, I wouldn't mind attending to more important things. Actually, I like being on this thread to read the positive reviews, like the one a few posts above who was on the "drama" cruise and had a great time.

I know you said you have not read the entire thread, but if you look back you will see that I have always defended EVERYONE'S right to post their own opinions here, even if some people disagree with them.

Last edited:
This thread divides into two categories:

1) Three or four former Employees posting about internal crew, staffing and corporate issues.

2) Recent divers talking positively about their trips and their overall experience & perceptions.

I think Nekton has an amazing product and absolutely think those boats are the best liveaboard style out there (this after watching the Peter Hughes boat rock and roll in a storm in Belize while we were barely moving). If things turn around with the business end of the company...

But this beating that the management structure is taking will likely cause great monetary damage to the corporation. Nicely done so far. All dive operations are on the thin edge of financial catastrophe in August 2009. This one here has the added burden of being the only US Flagged liveabaord that I am aware of. Their pay scale and USCG inspection criteria are huge compared to anyone else in the Caribbean.

They are not the first to be in trouble monetarily, but they are the ones that all the ex-employees have gone off about. US Citizen ex-employees have access to the internet and will utilize it as a crude weapon to get what they want, and to hell with the future reputation of a good company. There is no such person posting here with altruistic thoughts.

Yet, the passenger's live aboard experience? Well, so far, there hasn't been much negative in terms of passenger comments.

I was addressing you...as I'm not fully versed in using the tools of scuba board, my fault for not placing the post correctly. In fact your earlier post read that if it were not for negative posts you would not be writing in here....

Greg, looked at your post history, and I would have to concur. You elected to make a late life career change at 55 and become a SCUBA Instructor on January 29th, 2009 (a nine month process). I admire that. The last time you visited here on SCUBA Board was 220 days ago, when you left to work aboard the Nekton.

I spent the last 7 months with Nekton, on the Pilot, and quit for several reasons.

The main issue with all crew is getting paid.

Okay, so in your own words, pay was the main issue. Got it.

Now it comes to mind that there were other horrendous issues affecting the ship? It took you 7 months to figure that out and get off. But what really got you fired-up to warn everybody on SCUBA Board about the ship is... when you got stiffed for back-pay.

Nobody who has been aboard her in the last seven months as a guest has been complaining about how horrible it was. Gosh- they served maybe 900 passengers in that period- you would figure there would be a firestorm of complaints. But, no.

This is an internal management issue. It sucks to be a crew member on a live aboard. I am sorry that you had trouble getting paid, but that doesn't seem to be affecting the life experiences of 900 passengers. Someone else might say, "It sucks to be you", but after having worked around the dive industry for so long, I have compassion for what you went through. You and the other former employees who have posted here. I thank you for signing your posts, that shows some real backbone & validity.

Conclusion? If you are seeking employment in the dive industry, you probably will not like the meat-grinder environment of a live aboard ship. You may like a Cruise Ship even less, although likely you will get the meager pay (due to non-US Flagging) on a timely basis. Working for one of the few (only?) US Flagged liveaboards... it has a powerful allure, yes?

Most new-hires have few options. Live aboard life is easy for the customers, and looking at comments, still is aboard the Nekton. I have seen the Nekton crew quarters, and by comparison, they're fairly luxurious as compared to some. In the Maldives, the boat I use has bunk space for the crew atop the engine boxes. When we were all snoring, they would sneak out and sleep on the fantail. This is not an easy life.

The dive industry sucks big time. Looking at your post history reminded me well of the shotgun approach you took on your journey. You and I even shared PM's in this regard.

Now Greg, please don't see this as personal, because God love you, not only did you sign your name to what you wrote, but you have been around SCUBABoard long enough to show us where you have been and what you have seen. Not a personal attack, but just a picture....

You joined SB in October 2007 when you completed your Rescue Diver, and you became a DM in February 2008. You went to AKR Roatan in February 2008 but first you asked approx 25 posted questions in regards to your upcoming trip, but alas- the trip report was fifteen words long, also matching the number of dives done in that week.

In August 2008 you went off asking about trying and build and open new dive-ops on different islands, Guanaja among them. By September, you decided to look for work as an instructor on the Bay Islands. Then off to wonder about buying Manta Dive in Tobago. A month later you were asking starter questions about how to apply for a job. You got your OWSI and within 30 days you had signed on to the Nekton.

A confusing whirlwind of activity but you achieved "a" goal- you were working in the industry as a dive industry professional. It is better that you had this experience as an employee rather than to invest all of your finances into building or "buying" an existing dive op. So it worked out well, at least in that regard.

I must,firstly, admitt I did not read all the posts in this very long thread...

Picture8-6-2.png

Too bad, because yours are the most coherent and believable.

Again- not a personal attack, but I think your posts are still quite representative of those of your fellow crewman. Because of your openness in your identity, it lays this open to some deeper introspection (unlike their shield of anonymity).

Your posts would seem a lot more valid if you had exited the employ immediately as you noticed all of these horrendous things... and made a full report to the US Coat Guard or posted them for all to see here on SCUBABoard.

But instead, you stayed aboard. Possibly it was because stuff you were seeing was new to you, possibly it's because... well.... you said it...

The main issue with all crew is getting paid.

Now- on to better things.... Good luck with assisting the wounded veterans to experience diving. In that we both have that long-ago and long-term experience, I think you'll find that more rewarding than any entry-level job in the industry.

Diving with our veterans has a much greater payday.

Last edited:
"Your posts would seem a lot more valid if you had exited the employ immediately as you noticed all of these horrendous things... and made a full report to the US Coat Guard or posted them for all to see here on SCUBABoard. "

First off I must say that is one of the funniest pictures I've ever seen in my entire life.

But more importantly you must realize that as previously stated by numerous people the majority of crew members working for Nekton have no prior expirence on liveaboards, not to mention the dive industry in general. So can you blame someone for sticking around, especially after spending $1700 to get there(Yes my STCW room/board and airfare equaled this)? Most of them don't even know they risk immense fines AND imprisonment on a daily basis. NEKTON BREAKS NUMEROUS USCG REGULATIONS DAILY. No I'm not exaggerting here. Illegal dumping and oil slicks, every time the generator is changed, are just the tip of the iceburg.

So before you attack someones validity for staying you should see it from our point of view.

Last edited:
The thread just shows that some people have a stunning amount of free time, one with off the scale kind of free time, and some minds are made up, and and no amount of information is going to change that opinion. Some people made judgements from the info provided. We're all bummed that it's in the state it is, though, yes, some people don't believe it is in that state.

HouseofCards:
But more importantly you must realize that as previously stated by numerous people

Me included... I offered this in my post above....

the majority of crew members working for Nekton have no prior expirence on liveaboards, not to mention the dive industry in general.

As I said, Nekton employees are often off-the-street noobs. There is a path worn in the sidewalk from 429 SeaBreeze Boulevard over to the landing in Fort Lauderdale.

So can you blame someone for sticking around,

Maybe you have a point, the innocent crew- they were simply "the unknowing".....

especially after spending $1700 to get there(Yes my STCW room/board and airfare equaled this)?

Umm, there goes all credibility again for a second time, this time it was your turn to toss it a'flying out the window. So, the elimination of ignorance not only has a time schedule, but it has a price structure. $1700 and all of sudden the light comes on.

Most of them don't even know they risk immense fines AND imprisonment on a daily basis.

What kind of meat-head doesn't know that using drugs or drinking is against company policy. They signed a contract to that effect I assume. Fines and imprisonment? Why would they risk losing a job and then not imagine that it was a Federal USCG issue? Hard time against their $1700 "investment"?

NEKTON [-]xxx xxxxxx xxxx xx xxxxxxxx xxxx[/-]

Look, I'll do you a favor and not repeat what is legally libelous. The ship has to meet USCG standards, unlike any other live aboard. Seems that they have been squeaking by, so far. There are no grades, it's a pass/fail system. To date, they seem to have a certificate from the US Coast Guard.

So before you attack someones validity for staying you should see it from our point of view.

I'm seeing your POV with 20/20 clarity.

I don't have the oomph to be a liveaboard employee any more. That's a young person's game.

But I don't have to be an so employed to make this simple observation.....
.....No former employee said anything until the issue of back-pay caused them to set up a ruckus.

That's the undeniable seed tied to every ex-employee's posts here.

That seems to have been your point of view. Back pay. The internet and SB was just a medium for your pressure to be applied.

The other unsubstantiated violations and commentaries were thrown in for pizazz factor.

I hope you get paid. Too bad you're killing the livelihood of so many people with offhanded comments that will make people think they should not book.

Nowhere in the quoted post did I mention anything about drugs Roatan, and unfortunately that is why I started and still am on this thread. No one was ever proved to have been under the influence of Marijuana during the said week(or any week since my employment), furthermore I was referring to the "newbies" lack of knowledge towards the USCG dumping laws, for this was the biggest law breaking issue.

The monetary example I provided was just MY reason for staying around after the first week(It was not untill further on in my Nekton career did I realize what was going on), I'm just putting it in perspective for someone unfamiliar with the lengths gone through to work for the company.

As I said earlier I'm not here to sling mud or trash talk the company, I feel they do well enough on their own in that respect. I'm simply here to stand up for myself as well as my fellow crew mates, and provide the truth so that people may make that judgment call themselves.

(the very first paragraph)I am one of the crew members that walked on that trip and I will testify that part of the reason we walked that week was absolutely over pay. We we're jerked around over pay while we were there time and time again. It took 8 weeks to recieve my first pay after the crew had banded together and threatened legal action. After this the pay checks came reguraly but then stopped again 6/13/09. Most of our tips have not been recieved on account that credit card charges go to the office and are then supposed to be included in our pay checks. No check, no tip.

Several crew members are in the beginnings of legal action against Nekton for our pay. We have sent the owner of the company numerous e-mails and ignored or unreturned phonecalls over his inability to pay what was owed long before this incident. The company also has a prior habit of not paying it's employees. Many crew and previous crew are still waiting to recieve their pay from a previous term in shipyard. Some crew members including previous captains claim being owed as much as three thousand dollars. This is a lot of money to us.

By sticking around for half pay you set a precident that said it is okay for you to pay people when you can get around to it. You may be a loyalist and not value your work but I do. No pay, no work. And there was no agreement with the office about "hey just pay me when you can get caught up." If that was their terms of payment I never would have taken the job in the first place. I have no time for half ass, and would have walked from the boat long ago if I didn't have to stick around just to make enough off of the cash tips to be able to fly out from the boat.

edit note: Airfares from St. Croix, one way Northbound seem to be between $138 and $350, checking today.

no one has seen checks (until recently) last October including our credit card tips. The company is about to have 3 lawsuits.

Everyone arguing over why the crew left needs to stop. The reason is very simple and IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DRUG TEST.... the office is already late with our checks as it is whats going to happen to them when the company stops making money(aka no charters while at dock) and starts spending even more money for parts... not only will the pay decrease during this 3-4 week period the labor is much more intense. Bob the 19 year old Divemaster turns into Bob the 19 year old Painter, or carpenter or whatever else the boat needs done. The idea of "Ship Yard" looming in the future, coupled with expirences from last years shipyard(Where pay was completely stopped, and for some individuals not even paid in full yet) and already being behind on paychecks is enough for some to leave right there...... and VIOLA there you have it the reason everyone left.

So as a quick overview here are the reasons this week turned out like it did(in no particular order)

1. Lack of pay....

On a side note the pay and sea time of the 8 crew who left are being witheld from us untill....

Because of the company STILL owing me money it's best if i remain anonymous. I think the other crew members posting on this thread feel the same way as well.

1, Some crew members are still owed money for certain times UP TO 8 months ago. As far as someone not getting paid for 8 months straight, no that never happened. The longest amount of time I've gone without money was about 3 months beginning during last years shipyard. and for 7 of those weeks there were no tips coming in either.

....you are mistaken about the paychecks. the people who have gotten theres consistently... i've never been on the pilot and there for did not see a paycheck from October-May. in May they started sending random checks for minimal amount of money. we have bills to pay regaurdless of what you think. so once bills are payed off we dont have any money to quit. even getting kicked off the boat that week we had to have a friends (and crew member) family buy our tickets back to the states. without them we would have been stranded in St Croix. It was truly God's gift that they were willing to help.

Do you think that when people find out about a bong being found on board and you telling everyone its a crew members that guests are just going to start flocking to Nekton to sign up for a cruise? i worked for them for 2 years. That was my home. I hated that we werent getting paid.I hated the attitude of the captain. i had every intention of leaving anyways but would rather have done it without feeling completely embarassed.

The main issue with all crew is getting paid. The Nekton office is very slow to get out payroll and that....Crew are the last on the list to get paid. Hence the result is an upset crew which results in.... Nekton deducts the cost of processing credit cards tips from the crews pay, which is an abomination as that is the cost of doing business.

(edit note: please re-read that last statement with care and prepare to shake our heads in unison while wondering what makes that % deduction situation different than any other on this planet?)

I too had to wait 6 weeks before I saw my first check and Nekton still owes me several weeks of pay. I had to threaten Dixon with legal recourse to get him to pay me and he did...for three pay periods, to which it all stopped three weeks ago.

So can you blame someone for sticking around, especially after spending $1700 to get there...

The monetary example I provided was just MY reason for staying around after the first week....

I feel for you all, but I think the real reason for these posts is quite obvious. You have a beef with the corporation and are using the internet to "get even" and force their hand in fear of legal action.

The boat continues on, and soon the crew issues will be resolved. The boat will return to being as stable as she rides.

I hope you get your money- since that is the connecting and repeated issue in all ex-crew member posts, it's not really hard to see what the motivations are here. Not a bad tactic, but it does smack of scorched earth policy. To get what little that you want, you don't care what the overall effect and cost is to the company and all of the others who are successfully getting along in life by working there.

I hope the ships and the company survive this assault~ laden with innuendo and inflammatory remarks.

The guest diver's experiences have told the tale~ they have largely been good... if they care to ignore the drama of the crew swirling around them. A lot of guests simply can not resist. If the crew shares details with on-board guests, well- you think about that!

Again, I hope y'all get paid, but in that pay has been the leading point of every ex-crew post, well... you have to think.

Last edited:
Interesting direction of the thread. The company owes crew members money for months (but they keep working), then some paychecks start trickling in, then they stop again, but ex-crew still stay on board, even though some of them are owed money. Then the captain calls for a drug test and many of them bolt. Maybe it was all about the money, but the catalyst seems to be the drug test.

Maybe it was all about the money,

I'm talking about why ScubaBoard has been used as a sledgehammer. It's the money. The rest is just a convenient sugary frosting. (hollow calories)

but the catalyst seems to be the drug test.

Maybe that was a tipping point.

After you sift through all of the ex-crew member posts, I really don't see a whole lot of needed concern over pot smoking.

It's a major BS point being brought up here continuously, because The Company can never release any information about test results. Even if redacted, it would bve in violation of any personnel policy standards. We will never have the results, only those directly involved might have access to them.

Me personally? I would rather deal with a pot smoking crew than those drinking or hung-over. I think it's an abomination that some guy can smoke reefer and get hung for it 30 days later with a ZERO TOLERANCE Mommy Reagan Invention (the absurd reactionary witch-hunt 1980's criminalization of Marijuana), while at the same time a "perfect employee" can get absolutely stupid drunk and pass any chemical test the next morning. I'll take the doper any time.

Not that this was a choice, or even a real issue here.

Last edited:
Quit wasting your time with reasoned responses HouseofCards. Lack of progress in changing minds is not due to some flaw in your reasoning, or in presenting the facts. Minds are set in concrete here. They had their answer before there was a question. There are no problems. No comments to the contrary by ANYONE are valid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom