Nelson Ledges Quarry- White Star Quarry - Crusty's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan

Reaction score
Anyone dove at Nelson Ledges Quarry, White Star Quarry or Crusty's? Please tell me about your experiences there and if they are a worthwhile trip.

Thanks,

Dan

fookisan:
Anyone dove at Nelson Ledges Quarry, White Star Quarry or Crusty's? Please tell me about your experiences there and if they are a worthwhile trip.

Thanks,

Dan

Nelson Ledges: shallow dive, visibility 2' to 0 vis pending if the local rescue divers have not been there to train. There are some hazards in the water, local kids throw stuff in there.

White Star: great place to go and get wet, visibility is great towards the center, the further you get away from the platforms the better. Water temps are great during the summer, still chilly :D . Lots of wildlife to see and feed. There are some toys in there for you to play around as well.

Crusty's: Never been there.

Gilboa: Awesome

DMP:
Nelson Ledges: shallow dive, visibility 2' to 0 vis pending if the local rescue divers have not been there to train. There are some hazards in the water, local kids throw stuff in there.

White Star: great place to go and get wet, visibility is great towards the center, the further you get away from the platforms the better. Water temps are great during the summer, still chilly :D . Lots of wildlife to see and feed. There are some toys in there for you to play around as well.

Crusty's: Never been there.

Gilboa: Awesome

Was told Nelson Ledges had 25' viz on average. Very disappointing news, but thanks for the other info and your service.

Dan

fookisan:
Was told Nelson Ledges had 25' viz on average. Very disappointing news, but thanks for the other info and your service.

Dan

Forgot to tell you, fi you do Nelson. Wear a dry suit, gives you some added protection for the leeches.

I have never dove nelson ledges. My GF was a lifeguard there and I would not recomend it as a dive location. The management is unwilling to ban the drug use that dominates the grounds. This is disapointing as the natural features of the quarry would make it a nice place to relax with your family otherwise. As for the diving there are quite a few swimmers stirring up the area, maybe the vis is better farther from the swim area. As I said I don't recomend diving there but if you do watch out for needles and broken glass. Whitestar, Gilboa and Portage are all much better choices for the diving crowd. Hope that helped.

E.B.

wolves64t:
I have never dove nelson ledges. My GF was a lifeguard there and I would not recomend it as a dive location. The management is unwilling to ban the drug use that dominates the grounds. This is disapointing as the natural features of the quarry would make it a nice place to relax with your family otherwise. As for the diving there are quite a few swimmers stirring up the area, maybe the vis is better farther from the swim area. As I said I don't recomend diving there but if you do watch out for needles and broken glass. Whitestar, Gilboa and Portage are all much better choices for the diving crowd. Hope that helped.

E.B.

And the photos of Nelsons look so pretty. Anyway, you comments were echoed by another I spoke with. Although he did not mention drugs too much, he referred to it as drunks and trash all over. Thanks for your help,

Dan

wolves64t:

E.B.

I made the mistake of trying to camp at NL for diving on an "Earth Day" weekend a few years ago... For a few hours I thought I was at Woodstock, so we struck our tents and headed for home so that when the "authorities" came, we wouldn't be rounded up in a case of mistaken identity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom