Neti Pots & Brain Eating Amoeba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tddfleming

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not sure if this is the correct place for this, but wanted to let people know that use the rinses. I use one myself.

Brain-Eating Amoeba Claims Third Victim | Gather

Now a third victim has been claimed by the brain eating amoeba. The first two contacted it by swimming. One in Virginia and the other Florida. The third in Louisiana, which really freaks me out. It was traced back to his tap water! He was using a neti pot. (neti pot is a device used for irrigating the nasal passages) He was from Louisiana. And health officials later found the amoeba in the home's water system. The problem was confined to the house; it wasn't found in city water samples.*(So use only sterile, distilled, or boiled water should be used in neti pots.*)

Now how scary is that??!!

The amoeba is usually found warm, stagnant water in freshwater lakes, ponds and rivers. It can also be found in wells.

Is this what our parents were talking about, when they said, "dog days of summer?" I remember so many times I'd want to go swimming, in the near by swimming hole. My parents would say, no not now it's the dog days of summer. It's too stagnant, it's been too hot and not enough rain. It's not safe to swim in now.

The illness is extremely rare. About 120 U.S. cases — almost all of them deaths — have been reported since the amoeba was identified in the early 1960s, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

About three deaths are reported each year, on average. Last year, there were four. There are no signs that cases are increasing, says Jonathan Yoder, who coordinates surveillance of waterborne diseases for the CDC.

Currently, there is no proven treatment for people who develop a brain infection with this bug, the infection is usually fatal.

It’s a very rare disease. “There have only been 111 cases reported since 1962.

I'm thinking it was a slow news week so they decided to publish something to scare the public. The number of reported cases of naegleria this year is no higher than average. Re the neti pot: there's no telling what this guy's water supply looked like. My guess is that it was not standard-issue home plumbing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom