New and nervous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Discuss your concerns with your instructor...it is not unusual to be concerned about these things. Welcome to the board.

Scubagirl, welcome!
I'm new too. Just certified yesterday. And I had some of the anxiety you describe. I was sure I was going to panic or be sucked into the abyss. :lol: I don't know how you can be sucked into the abyss in a mere 12 feet of water, but I was really scared.

First, remember is that your air is attached to you. It can't go anywhere. The regulator can go off to the side, but it is simple to retrieve. And if you really can't get to it, you still have your emergency air source.

Second, remember that you can control your fear. Fear is useful because it helps you stay safe. You need to acknowledge it, assess the situation and control it in order for it to work for you. You CAN do this!

Third, remember that your instructor is responsible for your safety. She wants you to know how to be safe. Also she wants your repeat business.

Finally, remember that you need to communicate any difficulties, whether physical or emotional, with your dive instructor and buddy. This helps them to know what to work on and how to best help you.

If I can do it, anyone who is willing to be serious and try can do it too.
Please keep us posted on your progress!

-Olivia
Squeaky-clean just-certified

Welcome to a wonderful new world. I also had problems with my second night of pool dives with anxiety but when I got under water @ Catalina joy over shadowed any fear.
Now I just respect the water and love the new world down under. When your'e ready to continuing on check out your new friends on the board.(see http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88 ) There are many that would love to dive with your family. Relax and enjoy.

You might enjoy reading the journal I kept of my OW class. I wasn't quite as nervous as you were, but I was probably klutzier.

I agree with Catherine. Change the tape. Visualize gliding through the water, weightless and almost effortless. THAT's what diving is really like.

It is not unusual to be somewhat apprehensive. Take things slowly, follow your instructor's directions, and enjoy our dive park which is a fairly friendly place for new divers. If you need to and the class allows it, do your first dives quite shallow (say 30 ft) and work your way down to 60 ft. Gain confidence, practice skills... but most of all, enjoy this wonderful new world! That's the way I felt when I started diving 45 years ago.

Thanks to everybody for responding. I've read some of the other nervous posts and find that I'm actually feeling better just knowing that I'm not the only one. We'll be on Catalina Aug 13 dive park and 14th boat dive. I'll be the one giving my instructor the Giant "O" After we get back, I'll post again and let y'all know that I made it!

Hello, and welcome. Just take your time and get use to things, don't push yourself or go before you are ready just because you don't want to dissapoint anyone. Spend more time in the pool like ChrisA said and be comfortable. Most importantly you want to let your instructor know your concerns so that he/she can work with you on getting your comfort level up. Its wonderful that you have the support of your husband and kids! You will all be diving and loving it before you know it!

Congratulations on taking the first steps toward an incredible life adventure!
Life's crazy, live it! If you ever need any advice or help, we're here for you. You'll do just fine. Talk with your instructor and be honest. You know the skills and how to handle yourself, plus, you have a BIG advantage over lots of newbies...your family bought you gear, so you'll be able to practice in that gear and know it inside out by the time you do your open water. That's a big advantage over people who use rental gear, sometimes it's the same gear, sometimes it isn't, sometimes it fits...sometimes it doesn't. Practice and get comfortable with yourself and your gear, you'll do great!

Britt :fish:
:fish:

This is perfectly normal. You're swimming in a totally new environment and there are lots of things going on around you.

When I start to get a little edgy or feeling overwhelmed. I simply close my eyes for a few seconds and listen to my breathing. Slow and deep, slow and deep.

Just keep saying that in your head and hopefully when you open your eyes things won't look so overwhelming.

Come up with a signal that you and your buddy know so that you can let them know you're feeling like you want to bolt. Then you both can just hang out and relax for a minute or two. Maybe rise up a few feet and hang out.

Another technique is what my wife will do, she'll start focusing on little creatures or things on the bottom to sort of distract herself from it all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom